NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY wifi adapter

Jimmy Rocket

Hi all, 

Bare with me on this as some of you may have done this or will know if it works or not. 

So I am looking at getting the skywatcher wifi adapter and I found an orion one cheaper and looking at reviews it also works with skywatcher.... Soooooo I got thinking can one be made cheaply? 

Pulled these images from amazon and was wondering if it would work? 

So what we have is an rj45 to usb and the usb wifi dongle, what do you think? Would it work like the genuine WiFi adapter

IMG_20210429_103723.jpg

IMG_20210429_103643.jpg

16196895260875255128417087533012.jpg

I would err on the side of it not working. The SW Wi-Fi connector  has 2 modes, one where it is the wi-fi host and provides its own ip address, the other where it can be switched to running on another wi-fi host and get the ip address from that.

Unless there is an off the shelf USB wi-fi dongle (that can be host & client), that would seem to be a stumbling point. There are, I believe, some diy projects to do this though.

• Thanks 1