Looking to purchase first telescope and accessories

Hi all,

First post here and after some advice on a first telescope and some accessories. (I am a complete beginner).

I am based on east coast of Ireland (Bortle 4), so summer might not be best time of year for viewing because of the shorter nights. Have a budget of around €700. Wpuld mainly be for use in garden but transportability would be handy as would small footprint when packed up.

I have narrowed my choices down to Skywatcher Skymax 102 or 127 AZ-GTI. Reasons for this include, relatively small and lightweight, no need for collimation, doesn't take long to cool down, az mount easier for beginners (but i think this can be converted to EQ), goto mount but the gti can be adjusted manually. I am aware Maks are more suited for lunar/planetary/double stars and this is fine, but would like to look at other DSOs if possible. Down the line astrophotography would be good but am aware that this is a whole different ballgame!

If I went with the 102 I would be willing to spend some extra € on eyepieces or accessories; if i go with 127 it would be the limit of my budget for now.

I was leaning more to the 102 and either a 32mm eyepiece or maybe a 0.5x focal reducer (each would be around 45) - my understanding is focal reducers are more for astrophotography but I think combined with 25mm would provide a wider FOV for DSOs than a 32mm (but not sure how viable the use of them would be on the Maks for viewing). I was also considering a lunar filter. My understanding is the 10mm eyepiece supplied with these telescopes isn't great, but the 25mm is good enough (at least for beginner). However, I might stick with the packaged 10mm for now.

Does anyone have any advice on my decision? Or anything other 'must haves'.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by JunglistRex

Hi and welcome to SGL.

I have SkyMax102 on AzGti and I love the combination, but want to point out few things that you should know before making you decision.

First is one thing that I'm not happy with. Control of AzGti, Using smart phone to control the mount is rather handy - it is something that you always have near by and hand controller is one less thing to worry about. Wireless communication is also a big plus - no cables to worry about. Problem with using mobile phone is two fold:

- Phone screen is just too bright and if you want to do anything like goto to target or adjust scope pointing - you'll loose night vision. I did not install any special dimming applications nor purchased some sort of dimming / red screen to put over phone.

- There is no tactile feedback. This means that even small corrections - you can't make without looking at the phone. Phone screen is flat and you have no idea where to press to move mount unless you actually look at the screen.

I'll be looking to add some sort of hand controller to it. I actually have old HEQ5 hand controller (non goto one) that has basic left/right/up/down and select speed functionality and will be looking to adapt that one to AzGti.

Second thing is exit pupil limitation. Sometimes it is good to have large exit pupil - like 5-6mm for larger fainter nebulae. Mak102 simply can't do that.

Forget about focal reducer. It won't provide wider field than 32mm plossl - simply because 32mm plossl is not limiting thing. Mak102 has about 20mm back side opening. Field stop of 32mm plossl is 27mm. It is the scope that is limiting maximum usable field of view not the eyepiece.

Focal reducer will just help you use for example 16mm eyepiece as if it were 32mm one - but again, limiting factor is the scope not the eyepiece.

Longest focal length eyepiece in 1.25" format that has 50° or more of field of view is - 32mm one. There are longer FL eyepieces in 1.25" format  - like Baader Eudiascopic 35mm or 40mm Plossl - but they tend to have narrower apparent field of view - like 45° or 42°

Exit pupil is therefore limited to 3mm max.

What you can do is get SkyMax102 now and later purchase second wide field scope for DSO observation. Something like this one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-102t-ota.html

Two of these scopes combined make "excellent all around 4" scope" - you get both high power views without chromatic aberration but also excellent low power wide field and DSO observing scope.

Accessories wise - I would recommend that you get decent 1.25" 99% dielectric diagonal mirror. You don't need moon filter with that scope - 4" really is not that bright on the moon.

Get some additional eyepieces. Maybe consider getting one zoom eyepiece to cover range of magnifications.

Dew shield is a must with this type of scope (you can DIY one yourself - just look it up online).

SkyMax127 is just more of everything - both good and things that you need to tolerate.

- more resolution and light grasp (good)

- more cool down time needed (depends on how you manage time)

- more focal length and magnification (good for planetary viewing, not good for DSO and wide field)

- more weight and size (again - how much can you tolerate?)

• Like 4

Thanks for the detailed advice - it's good to hear from someone with the scope that I was considering. Interesting about the use of phone causing loss of night vision which I something I hadn't considered. As a newbie I wouldnt know how much this could actually affect viewing - it's more of an abstract concept. But from what you've said, I take it that you would still recommend the scope/mount.

I'm definitely leaning towards the 102 mainly due to cost, and will take advice on board about eyepieces etc. I think for now I would probably get a diagonal and a 32mm EP which would take me up to about 700 euros inc. shipping.

I had actually conside red the Startravel 102 prior to deciding on a Skymax (at that point I was certain I would go for a refractor but now I'm certain i will go for a Mak. I will probably change mind again soon!), but I had also been considering what you suggested and purchasing an OTA if I get into the hobby and using on the same tripod and mount.

Thanks again

Just a further question. For use at home, I was thinking looking at a mains power adapter. I assume it's more reliable than using batteries (although it must be plugged it). I know the GTI can be used without power as well.

I saw this: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/celestron-skywatcher-compatible-12v-mains-power-supply.html  (doesnt show cable length which isnt very helpful)

But based on the spec of that also think this would be suitable for the AZ GTI mount: https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-240V-Regulated-Switching-Amplifier-Accessories/dp/B01G9YS4NU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=12v+dc+5A+power+supply&qid=1619705412&sr=8-5 which is cheaper. DC 12V, 5A, 2.1mm adapter, centre-postive, 1.5m cable

Can you see any issues with that particular one or a similar cable with those specs from amazon or somewhere else. Alternatively there are rechargarble skywatcher powertanks but they would be around 80 euros and I don't think i'd need.

Thanks

Edited by JunglistRex

The harrison one should be better quality than the cheapie.   You will probably need an extension lead unless you have an external power socket close at hand.

As for the other one: adaptor jack size: 5.5mm x 2.5mm, compatible with 5.5mm x 2.1mm  What?! I don't think so.

Personally I use external battery packs or a multifunction car starter as I do not like using trailing 240v leads in the dark.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

Thanks. I think I must have copied the wrong link for the Amazon one because the one I saw was 2.1mm adapter. But basically the spec I posted "DC 12V, 5A, 2.1mm adapter, centre-postive" would be suitable for the AZ GTI mount. I'm just trying to cut costs but probably would be better just to get a heavier duty one from a "legit" source if I do! However, I take your point on board about the leads in the dark - maybe just bite bullet and get a SKywatcher Powertank. Thanks again.