Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD or SynScanPro App

DanLXIX

I've been using the SynScanPro app on my laptop for a while now. I've never looked at EQMOD because I was always connecting to the mount via the SW WiFi module. I've now got connected via cable so I'm looking at EQMOD. My question is, is there a good reason to switch?

I'm used to the SynScanPro app, and I connect CDC, BYN, Stellarium etc no problem, so do I gain anything from going down a new route?

I used the Synscan Pro app and really liked it. I connected to my old Sky-Watcher AZ mount via the handset and it worked well. Then I got a second-hand NEQ6 and it just would not play ball. The only way to get it to work was using EQMOD with a direct connection.

EQMOD has mount limit control, which is very handy for preventing your OTA from grinding into your tripod's legs if it overshoots. I think it comes with other features that I haven't explored. But, for just controlling the mount, it may as well not be there - in exactly the same way as the Sky-Watcher drivers just get on with the job in the background.

So I'd say, if your system's working for you now, carry on as you are. I was very reluctant to have to go the EQMOD route after getting my workflow all sorted. It wasn't that hard in the end, and it did succeed in connecting to the mount where Sky-Watcher's own software failed, but I don't really know that I gained any more functionality. And if there's one thing I've learned so far, it's not to mess around with a system that works, even if it has little annoyances or glitches that you have to work around occasionally!

I'm sure others will know more about special stuff EQMOD does, but that's my take on it having used both connection methods.

• Thanks 1