NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moving flats which side of sky to choose?

We are planing to move in another flat and I was always curious on which side of the night sky has more targets to photograph. 

I have been living mostly on Southern direction flats because of my sattelite dish and because I like having the Sun☀️ all day to my place. Its good for my flowers also 😊

At the last years I live on a top floor that has view on the South, West and a little North just enough so I can do a Polar alignment. 

Now I have found a new flat that has West, North and East View... which means that most probably I am not going to have the South transition of the objects that I have learned so well the past few years. 

Big question is.... Am i going to have nice nebula and galaxies from my new balcony? 

Thanks

Nikolas. 

Edited by Nikolas74

Since objects rise in the east and set in the west you are going to have rising objects, circumpolar objects and setting objects, so only the circumpolar ones will have visibility at their highest elevations.  You won't see the easterly and westerly objects at their best.  You will have less variety during the year, as well.

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Since objects rise in the east and set in the west you are going to have rising objects, circumpolar objects and setting objects, so only the circumpolar ones will have visibility at their highest elevations.  You won't see the easterly and westerly objects at their best.  You will have less variety during the year, as well.

Olly

Many thanks Olly. 

I used to have an east facing garden (recently moved to a new place with a south-westerly aspect), and while it was ok, I would mainly find myself looking towards the southerly direction, and it was a bit of race to image things before they went too far towards the south and got blocked by neighbours houses. As Olly said, you won't get things at their best.

There are interesting things in the north - mainly galaxies though, and (again, as Olly said) basically the same objects will always be there year-round. On the flip side, it will allow you to get a lot of practice in throughout the year and get really good at imaging them 😉