Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex with a vintage lens

Hi all

My go at the Rho Ophiuchi cloud complex.  44 mins tracked with my Omegon LX3 taken with my modded 6D and a Pentax-M SMC 50mm 1.7.  Stopped down to f4 for the exposures.  I stacked in DSS with darks, flats and biases but the lens had a heavy vignette that the flats didn't seem to deal with.  Edited the final image in GIMP.

Just a bit of an experiment to see what vintage glass can achieve.

Rho_Opi_V1_low (2).jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Mr Thingy said:

I love this target but it's sadly out of reach for me. I don't think it goes above 18° at my location and it's in a direction obscured by my house. 

Very nice picture.

Thank you.  I'm hoping to go out and give it another go with a more suitable lens.  I travelled to Lyme Regis to get this and sat on the beach at 3am for an hour or so it was only at about 14°, it sat just above the marine layer.  It's a beautiful target, such a shame that it is difficult to get at our latitudes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I really like it, it really does have a vintage feel, opposed to my 50mm F1.8 Nikkor Z lens on my Z6.
Found a spot in Portland that overlooks the channel and in the process of editing a fantastic wide shot, my first with my Star Adventurer.

50mmMilkyWayAntares.jpg

Edited by Cobberwebb
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

@Cobberwebb that's a great first attempt with the Star Adventurer.  Looks like you managed to get some detail in the Blue Horsehead, if you can bring out the blue in the processing it would look great.

Thanks! I think I'll process it again and see what I can do, if I have time. Recently started a YouTube channel, so spending all my spare time filming, editing, and scoring the videos. Just posted 2 vids on my astro setup, which includes my first wide shot of the Milky Way core with the Z6 and Star Adventurer. Latest video and final Milky Way shot is below.

Portland Milky Way.jpg

• Like 1

On 08/05/2021 at 00:36, Zummerzet_Leveller said:

@Cobberwebb that's a great first attempt with the Star Adventurer.  Looks like you managed to get some detail in the Blue Horsehead, if you can bring out the blue in the processing it would look great.

Had another (quick) go at processing the image and got more colour out of it :)

50mmMilkyWayAntares_V2.jpg

Antares V2.jpg

• Like 2