Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M97, the Owl nebula. It won't win any awards but my best and only effort worth sharing to date.

FaB-Bo-Peep

So after sorting out my out of focus guide scope I then had an amazingly quick polar alignment thanks to my ASI AIR Pro. Then I encountered challenge number 2 in that everything I set up to image transited behind various telephone wires running to houses in our area causing all sorts of funny colours as the various street lights reflected off them, (see 2nd photo). Anyway I did manage to obtain this image of M97, the Owl nebula. I captured some data before it went behind a telephone wire and then returned to it later in the night to capture some more once it had cleared the wire. Total data acquisition was about 1 hour which is way more than I have spent imaging any single target lately and combining data from 2 separate times is not something I have ever done before and was largely made possible by the fact that my ASI AIR Pro centres each target allowing 2 sets of data to be easily aligned. I was also using the L-Pro light pollution filter which I purchased last year and have only just started using and that's amazing! This image is largely made up of 3 minute exposures which prior to the filter would have been impossible as the light pollution would have turned everything into a bright, (washed out), mess. The stars in the bottom left are a bit out of shape and I believe the focuser on my imaging scope might not be flat to the imaging path, (possibly due to the weight of the camera), so I will have to look into adjusting this. I have tried imaging the Owl Nebula before but had no previous results worthy of posting, but this on the other hand is way better than my previous attempts and therefore worth sharing. Imaging scope is a Skywatcher 250PDS mounted on an AZ-EQ6 GT. Imaging camera is a Canon rebel XS, (1000D).

Owl-DSS-16th-17th-April 2021-all files-startools-colour stars and brighter-jpeg.jpeg

OWL-TELEPHONE WIRE.JPG

• Like 6