Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron 80mm ED refractor

I'm thinking this is the C80ED, which I have. I've used it on both a camera tripod and a NexStar SLT AltAz mount. The tube weight was fine on the NexStar for visual use and I've used it at over 200x on the moon and venus, and looked at some lovely clusters with much lower magnification. I've not been able to do any proper observing with it as the sky just hasn't been good enough. The scope itself weighs about 2Kg and is reasonably portable, although I don't have a case to keep it in. I've taken photos of the moon with it on a camera tripod using a 2x magnifier (Teleconverter, not barlow). I would expect that you would be able to see plenty of objects up there with it, that's based on my experience with my Konus 80mm, I've "seen" M1 with it, but seen here means I spotted a faint smudge. The optics of the C80ED are so much better that may make a huge difference. HTH and welcome to SGL

thanks. How easy is it to mount on a camera tripod and what else would I need to do this? How does it perform on Saturn /Jupiter? (I am looking to use this instead of my Skywatcher explorer150 when I need a quick setup and also to take to darker skies on weekend trips)

I find it very easy to mount using the clamshell that came with it on my camera tripod. The clamshell has a standard tripod thread fitted. I've not used the C80ED on any planet except Venus, but based on my experience with my Konus (ST80) @160x, I'd say that you should get good views, painful to track on a camera tripod, but it works.

I've got a redsnapper tripod, rated at holding 6.5Kg, it'll hold the scope nicely, but is a little wobbly at higher powers... to shoot the moon with the TC on it, I need to use the 10s camera self timer, 2s is insufficient (the remote would be a good bet but I never remember it grabbing everything on the way out), but I can get out and setup in under 2 minutes (that includes removing the C80ED from the tuberings, mounting the Clamshell on the tripod and attaching all the camera fittings) and be inside in 30 seconds in case things take a turn for the hammering it down.

that looks ideal in every way apart from the £250 price tag! I only have permission to get the ED from the finance manager (ie wife) as FLO have it for half-price so I don't think I could blow another £250 on a mount . She keeps going on about feeding the kids.........

Archived