NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skymax 150 Focus Knob removal

Dazzyt66

Hi,

I'm going to build an RPI autofocus soon and was wondering if anyone knows how the rubber cover comes off the Skymax 150 Pro focuser - I cant decide whether to try and take it off and fit a drive wheel somehow, or just to leave it as is and just run the belt round it as it seems to have good grip.

Ive seen on Youtube someone removed the knob from a Mak127 but I dont think the 150 is the same.

Any ideas anyone?

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

On the Skymax180 the rubber cover simply pulls off so would imagine the 150 is the same.

Cool - I thought it might but didnt want to try until I was sure it would! 🤔

22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Under the rubber cover there is a metal “knob” that fastens on with a set screw as I remember.

Photo of a motorised focuser mod I did to a Skymax180.

77087637-0EB9-470C-9BA0-B48C1371DF7C.jpeg

That is a cracking job! Not sure mine will be to same standard, but that’s the type of configuration I was thinking of. Thanks for the image - it helps a lot!! 😊

44 minutes ago, Dazzyt66 said:

That is a cracking job! Not sure mine will be to same standard, but that’s the type of configuration I was thinking of. Thanks for the image - it helps a lot!! 😊

I feel a right burk now! 😂 I just tried the rubber knob and it came straight off! 😂 I was worried about trying it in case it broke the focuser!

I’m also assuming that where you’ve fitted your extra finder shoe is where the two black screws are situated on the back plate? I always assumed they were redundant but again, had trouble finding a confirmation. Thanks again John. I’m actually looking forward to getting it up and running!