Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Difficult choice: Quality with SXD2 or less cost with GEM45 or Capacity for future possible OTA upgrades so CEM70?

Fedele

Difficult choice: Quality with SXD2 or less cost with GEM45 or Capacity for future possible OTA upgrades so CEM70?

At the moment i use a 120ED and a Mewlon 180c. 
I'm attracted by the SXD2, for its quality and because is beautifull. I really know that is here what I want. but the price and the somewhat dated project (cogwheels) hold me back. (3000 euros with Berlebach Astrostativ UNI 18 )
With 1000 euros less I could get a GEM45 which is pretty compact.
While at the same price I could have a CEM70, which would allow me to use a 150 ED or diameters of 25/30 cm in visual in future

What would you do? first of all I am concerned with quality and reliability. Which is the safest purchase and the best investment over time?

Edited by Fedele

• Fedele changed the title to Difficult choice: Quality with SXD2 or less cost with GEM45 or Capacity for future possible OTA upgrades so CEM70?
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue as you. I wanted an SX2 to mount an OOUK CT8 which is about 10.5kg all up. My GP-E groans under the weight and I like a really solid mount, even for visual lowish power work. The SX2 (Starbook One version) is out of production and to get one sent from an eBay shop in Japan will cost me £1900 once import duties and tax is added! So do I go for an SXD2 from a UK dealer which is way out of my budget - but the beautiful StarBook Ten and tracking performance (neither of which I really need), or do I give up on Vixen and get an iOptron GEM45, IF it has the real world capacity I'm looking for....?!

Oh The agony of choice lol