Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

About the Explore Scientific Mount iEXOS-100 PMC-8 Wi-Fi GoTo

alberto91

I actually had one a year ago but returned it because it didn't work.

I have read the iexos100 threads but I still have some doubts:

1. Is it possible to 'minimize' the explorestars app in android and open a different app without the mount stopping the tracking?

2. Does the explorestars app work in android 9.0 or 10.0? if not, in what android version does it work?

3. How far from the mount can I be for the wifi to work properly? and if there is a wall in between?

4. For astrophotography, is it good with the skywatcher 130 pds?

Edited by alberto91

To answer your questions:

1. Yes it's possible. But you must make sure your android tablet isn't in power saving mode (or any power saving optimisation) so it doesn't kill the app in the background after a short period of inactivity.

2. I've only tested in in Android 7 and 8 as I don't have one of the latest tablets that run 9 or 10.

3. Hard to say. I managed to keep the connection with the mount in the garden and myself at the other end of my living room with the french door closed (5m+)

4. For imaging you will need to switch the mount to wired mode (using a utility from ES website). The polar peep hole is useless here. You will need eletronically assisted polar alignment (sharpcap or kstars/ekos). The default configuration of the iEXOS100 can only take about 4kg of imaging payload, so 130PDS + comacorr + camera are too much for it. However if you upgrade the mount with the AZ adjuster + better saddle + medium or heavy duty tripod + counterweight extension, it will be able to take 7 - 8kg (about the same as SW EQ5).

I personally use the mount in wired mode with my diy efinder (based on SW 9x50 finderscope + RPi + RPi HQ camera + astroberry + self written python scripts) for visual only. I used the explorestars app for a while. It was ok for well known objects, but the database lacks in double/multi stars which are what I often observe when using my refractors.

Edited by KP82