Mandel-Wilson 1: The Polaris Nebula

gorann

This is really messy data. In my efforts to image Integrated Flux Nebulosity (IFN) I have here aimed the scope towards the North Celestial Pole. Guiding does not work there (at least not for me) and PHD2 refused to calibrate. So I ended up with 120 s unguided subs and it kind of worked for about two hours before the image started to rotate. All subs had poor elongated stars. Still, I had a go at processing it since there seem to be very few images of this area.

I had to shape the stars with sliding layers and blend mode darken in PS. I also used EZ Star Reduction in PI. Finally I have down sampled the image drastically to hide the worst noise from pixel peepers ;-).

The image shows parts of Mandel-Wilson 1, the "Polaris Nebula". The shine from Polaris can be seen in the top right corner. The image also contains the North Celetial Pole, as seen from the small annotated version.

Imaged 21 March with a RASA 8 and ASI2600MC on a Mesu 200 mount. 71 x 2 min, so 2.4 hours.

20210321 IFNnearPolarisRASA PS34smallSign.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-03-27 kl. 15.28.13.png

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Great potential there Gorann, I think it will be worth another visit.

Thanks Richard! Yes. But it is a bit frustrating not being able to guide, but I am sure it can be done better, maybe if I see to it that I have a perfect polar alignment (have not checked it for a year or so).