Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My solution to ZWO ASI Camera connection (to APT [Astrophotography Tool])

Hello

Lately, I've been experiencing connection problems to pc with my new ZWO ASI294mm pro, especially to APT. It would either not be recognized, or hang up after awhile.

Not fun to have a cam. not functioning having to lug an EQ8 and C11 to a dark site, set up from scratch, take down, and drive home in cold conditions with nary a picture to show.

Checking into things a lot, and communicating on the APT forum (Ivo's advice was in large part responsible for my success), I have found the following solution (I will list all the steps, as I don't know whether one solved it, or a conjunction of them. I tend to a conjunction, because individual test steps still showed the problem).

- set APT CCD compatibility to higher

- downloaded APT 3.87.8.1 preview version (I'm a full user of APT, so I have access to it)

- uninstalled and reinstalled the newest ZWO camera drivers (native & ASCOM)

- uninstalled and reinstalled the newest ASCOM platform (6.5 SP1)

- used a separate USB port for camera, another USB port, or HUB, for other peripherals

- I no longer run other peripherals (like guide cam and autofocuser) through the cameras USB ports / hubs (I've read somewhere that helps, although one asks what use are

USB ports to save on cables when you can't use them?)

Just in case, in preview mode, I use 4x4bin (bin 2 for imaging, as I'm now in unlocked bin mode with a pixel size of 2.31um, binx2 will give me the native 4.63um), so download times don't interfere, and have gotten hours long uninterrupted performance with this camera, so everything seems to be ok now (I'm still going to get an Atik 383L plus, though, nifty little machines, those).

Regards

Andy

• Like 2

Are you using the USB cables supplied with the ASI294?

Only I had some drop outs or failed to connect, swapped the supplied flat USB 3 cable for a better quality round one and that's fixed it for me. ;) 

I still run the ASI120MM Mini connected to the USB hub on 294 and that connects to a powered USB3 hub.

• 2 months later...

I had USB issues earlier this year, using an ASI1600MM. APT would 'freeze' for ~10 seconds every ~30 seconds and other technological wonders would happen, just to confound me in the early hours. NINA would disconnect from the camera, or disconnect the mount, or guiding would stop working.

My working solution now entails:

- powered USB 3.0 hub on the mount (Startech 7-port model) 
- replaced *ALL* usb cables with good quality Startech cables of suitable lengths. All the stock ZWO cables and many ebay/amazon cables are dodgy.
- ZWO EFW and ASI290MM Mini guidecam connect through the usb hub on the ASI1600 - this works just fine. 
- Electronic focuser (either SestoSenso or Celestron SCT depending on which scope) connected straight to the Startech hub. Focusers don't like the ASI1600 hub.
- ASI1600 connected to the Startech hub
- Lynx Astro EQDIR USB cable connected directly to the laptop; won't work through the hub.
- Startech hub connected to the laptop - so two USB cables from the mount to the laptop.

I've just added a Pocket Powerbox Advance so reworking the solution above, but at present it's a straight swap PPBA in, Startech hub out. I'd like to be able to have just one USB cable from the mount to the laptop so may experiment further.

Hi, somwhat in a hurry (off to an observing session), but if you connect tha AI294mm, if you get a pixel size of 2.31, then it's already set, if not, set it to bin1x1, or set it to bin 1x1 in ASICAP.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AstroAndy said:

Hi, somwhat in a hurry (off to an observing session), but if you connect tha AI294mm, if you get a pixel size of 2.31, then it's already set, if not, set it to bin1x1, or set it to bin 1x1 in ASICAP.

Thanks for the reply!