Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 8se ( 1st Gen ) service and repairs

Hi 

I have a Celestron 8se ( 1st Gen model - The HC is permanently connected to the mount and doesn't come off).

Anyone know of someone in or around London who is able to service these ( clearing , re-grease, check goto accuracy, etc). 

Already tried Tring Astro, and they dont service these. 

If you don't have any joy, tell us why you think it needs a service.

I never heard of any C8 SE with a permanently connected handset. On mine, if you reach up under the shrouding where the cable goes in, with a small screwdriver etc you can press the catch and release the cable.

The GoTo should be accurate enough to place an object somewhere in the field of a 25mm Plossl eyepiece.

These mounts can be quite noisy.

nexstarsite.com may have helpful information.

Sounds like you may have the original Celestron Nexstar 8 which looks like this:

Company Seven | Celestron NexStar 8 Schmidt-Cassegrain Computer Controlled  Telescope

I used to have the 5 inch version and the opitcal tubes were fixed to the mount arm - no dovetail bar, annoyingly. I think the handset was hard wired in as well.

They became the "i" version (more GOTO items in the memory and a steel tube tripod) and then the SE version and the colour scheme changed and they used a dovetail connection with the tripod.

There is a chap who services SCT telescopes but I forget his name now. He used to work with BF&F and Astro Engineering.

Edited by John

The reason it needs a service is that the mount is jamming at the lower speeds an as a result its throwing the whole goto out of alignment. It starts out fine and  quite precise, but after trying to use the low speeds , it will jam and go out of alignment. I inherited it from a relative , i estimate that its 10+ years old and doubt that it ever has been opened and had a good clean and re-grease.

For example half way through a session, i try to point to the orion nebula and it will go way off and point in the general direction of M45 or some other part of the sky. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

It is clearly a C8 SE with the orange tube and the Nexstar (not Nexstar+) handset.

A common problem is that the power plug makes poor contact, causing all sorts of malfunctions as the mount moves around. A fix for this is to use a sharp knife or scalpel to slightly widen the split centre pin, and then stick a cable tie on the mount near the socket and thread the power cable through it when in use, to prevent excessive movement.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If you don't have any joy, tell us why you think it needs a service.

I never heard of any C8 SE with a permanently connected handset. On mine, if you reach up under the shrouding where the cable goes in, with a small screwdriver etc you can press the catch and release the cable.

The GoTo should be accurate enough to place an object somewhere in the field of a 25mm Plossl eyepiece.

These mounts can be quite noisy.

nexstarsite.com may have helpful information.

You were right, the HC does come off,  im feeling pretty stupid now

2 hours ago, oscar_camilleri said:

Hi 

I have a Celestron 8se ( 1st Gen model - The HC is permanently connected to the mount and doesn't come off).

Anyone know of someone in or around London who is able to service these ( clearing , re-grease, check goto accuracy, etc). 

Already tried Tring Astro, and they dont service these. 

Steve Collingwood http://sctelescopes.com/ - not sure of his operating schedule is due to lockdown/COVID-19 restrictions. His contact details are in the link.

Edited by Philip R

Quick update for everyone,  Spoke to Tring Astro again who advised the issue is to do with celestron. They are in process of centralising their repair network , so they are limiting parts and licences to a limited number of authorised dealers in order to keep a tight control on quality.  Tring advised that they should be able to start servicing these in a couple of months.

• Like 1