Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Invitation to Crawley Astronomical Society talk by Professor Stacy McGaugh on 'Dark matter and gravity in the universe' on Friday 19th at 7:30pm UTC.

Hi Fellow Astro-addicts,

I hope you are all well. Clear nights have been few and far between.

I am inviting you to a Zoom talk by Professor Stacy McGaugh from Case Western Reserve on 'Dark matter and gravity in the universe'.  Prof McGaugh is a bit of a celebrity, he did that SPARC survey of 153 galaxies you'll remember about 3 years ago showing that the relationship showing that the rotation curves of galaxies and their luminosities were completely related and therefore the question is how dark matter might fit in, if at all.  

Zoom is downloadable free on your mobile phone, your laptop, your PC or Mac. 

Our Agenda for Friday 19th, is:
1 – Get people connected. The link is https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82510391783...
(Meeting ID: 825 1039 1783, Passcode: 374052). I will start the session around 7.15 for a 7:30 start.
2 – Introduction and Astro News.
3 – Prof Stacy McGaugh from Case Western Reserve University talks about 'Dark matter and gravity in the universe'.
4 – Virtual break for virtual tea and coffee (or something stronger)
5 – Observatory update - exciting news.
6 – University connection (a call for hands) Gaia II data analysis with Instituto de Astronomía, Mexico City.
7 – Sky Diary
Please let me know if you would like to do a trial connection beforehand.

Hope to see you there.

Regards,

Steve.
Edited by SteveBz
  • Like 1

Hi People,

It was great to see so many unfamiliar faces at the talk on Friday.  We had more people than in a long time. Thanks for coming.  

I've just uploaded the talk to YouTube, in case you missed it.  Sadly I missed the first 2 slides.  

Several people have asked if he's published the slides anywhere and I've asked.  I'll post here if so.

I hope that's good.

Kind regards,

Steve
  • Thanks 1