Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Ascom Driver Bug - "ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Location" Error

chris1986

Hello,

I have the following mount: 

EQ5 Pro Goto with Synscan Ver: 3.39

Running on Win 7, ASCOM 6.5 SP1, Skywatcher  ASCOM driver 6062, Starry Night SE8

Whenever I select the "Skywatcher Telescope" inside the "ASCOM Chooser" and press 'Properties', I get a "ASCOM.SkyWatcher.Location" Error and cannot connect to the mount. When that happens I have to reinstall the skywatcher ascom drivers and then am able to open the properties window for the skywatcher mount ONCE only. Whenever I try to open it again, i get the 'location'-error. That also happens quite often, when i only attempt to connect to the skywatcher. I wonder if somebody else encountered this problem. I suspect it is a problem with the skywatcher ascom driver and how it reads the GPS location: The driver reads the location from the handset itself, not the edit-fields inside the property editor. That is fine, but whenever one opens the property editor it wants to fill the fields with the gps-coordinates from the handbox and a conversion error occurs (int2float). In The ASCOM-Profile Explorer the coordinates are saved as float, but inside the logs after the location error i see that it tried to read the float as integer without a comma and gives the error (521134244 > 90  (52.1134244 being my location)). 

Does anybody have a similar problem and how can it be fixed. Firmware-wise, everything is up-to-date (see above).

On a different note, I also tried to run EQMOD but here i have a ton of different issues. Connection works, but i cannot move the RA-axis in sub-sidereal steps. It doesnt give an error, but I can hear that after the software gives the signal to the mount, it doesnt move. Also only RA but not DEC has this problem. This makes running PHD2 for example useless. Also its not a hardware problem, since running the mount via the Skywatcher Ascom (see above) alows for a 0.5x sidereal mode, which works fine for RA and DEC. So I guess its a EQMOD-issue in this case.

I know these problems are very specific but I would apprechiate any help.

Thank you,

Christian

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2022 at 14:47, Ravagnin said:

Hello. Did you fix this problem? I'm in the same situation...   

20 minutes ago, julianorafael said:

Hello, I have the same problem. I can not slew to a target nor do a lots of stuff like sync the coordinates from nina to telescope. 

It would be helpful if you guys detail how you are connecting the mount and to what equipment, PC, Pi etc  and if you are using the same EQ5 mount as the OP ?

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

It would be helpful if you guys detail how you are connecting the mount and to what equipment, PC, Pi etc  and if you are using the same EQ5 mount as the OP ?

I have the EQ-5 mount with Goto Synscan V4.39.20, I connect to my laptop via RJ11/USB cable bought on Amazon , and I have download the latest ASCOM platform 6.6 as well as the ASCOM driver here Ascom driver. I use N.I.N.A 2.0 Beta to connect to my mount via ASCOM driver. 

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

Apart from the latest poster the others haven't been back since their initial posts......

53 minutes ago, julianorafael said:

I have the EQ-5 mount with Goto Synscan V4.39.20, I connect to my laptop via RJ11/USB cable bought on Amazon , and I have download the latest ASCOM platform 6.6 as well as the ASCOM driver here Ascom driver. I use N.I.N.A 2.0 Beta to connect to my mount via ASCOM driver. 

Thank you for the details.  

First thing is to confirm the setting of the EQDIR cables com port setting assuming that windows has installed the FTDI driver.  In device manager right click on the com port and select properties.  - So Launch device manager > Ports (COM & LPT) > PORT > Right click >Properties > Port setting tab

The bits per second should be set to 9600, data bits 8, Parity None, stop bits 1, flow control None

If any of the values are different, such as bits per second set to 115200, change them to the values above

I don't use NINA, but I believe it either used a native built in connection to Skywatcher mounts, or if using ASCOM need an ASCOM driver such as EQMOD or GSServer as the interface between NINA and the mount.  Either of these will need installing and configuring.  EQMOD, being around for over a decade is well documented and covered in post on the forum, so a bit of searching or reading will cover that.

On 13/02/2022 at 21:32, malc-c said:

Thank you for the details.  

First thing is to confirm the setting of the EQDIR cables com port setting assuming that windows has installed the FTDI driver.  In device manager right click on the com port and select properties.  - So Launch device manager > Ports (COM & LPT) > PORT > Right click >Properties > Port setting tab

The bits per second should be set to 9600, data bits 8, Parity None, stop bits 1, flow control None

If any of the values are different, such as bits per second set to 115200, change them to the values above

I don't use NINA, but I believe it either used a native built in connection to Skywatcher mounts, or if using ASCOM need an ASCOM driver such as EQMOD or GSServer as the interface between NINA and the mount.  Either of these will need installing and configuring.  EQMOD, being around for over a decade is well documented and covered in post on the forum, so a bit of searching or reading will cover that.

Thank you, I have install EQMOD, at the beginning it didn't work, but I noticed I would have to set on my handcontrol the option connect direct to PC, and then it worked, Is this the way ? I tried a couple of things and it worked, waiting for a clear sky to try the other features again. I didn't know we would need EQMod besides the ASCOM drivers, I thought the ASCOm drivers would be enough, because it has the ascom server when I connected to my mount one app called ascomserver poped up, anyways  Thank you very much for you help. 

Yes, if using the handset as the "EQDIR" cable between the mount and PC than the handset does indeed need to be set to PC-Direct mode (unless it's a newer version with USB apparently).  It will show up in device manager as a com port.

Basically the ASCOM platform is a system that allows compatible hardware and software to communicate between them.  So for example a CCD camera will be ASCOM compliant by using agreed protocols written into its ASCOM driver.  This means that you can have confidence that it will work with PHD2 if a guide camera, or imaging programs like NINA or APT.  In order to mount control you need an ASCOM compliant "driver" which is where EQMOD / GSServer comes in.  Being ASCOM compliant it is "seen" by any other ASCOM compliant application that needs to move the mount, such as the planetarium application or guiding application.

Anyway, hope that helps you get an understanding what ASCOM is, and glad to hear you are now up and running

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malc-c said:

Yes, if using the handset as the "EQDIR" cable between the mount and PC than the handset does indeed need to be set to PC-Direct mode (unless it's a newer version with USB apparently).  It will show up in device manager as a com port.

When you say new version with USB port, my handcontrol has also the printer port, that I think it should translate to USB, is that the port you mentioned? So, if I buy the printer cable that has this square connection in one side and usb connection on the oder side would work? Sorry for asking it again, just to be sure if my version it is the newer version you were talking about. By the way, I'm using 130/650 PDS skywatcher + dslr nikon D610, EQ5 + Synscan goto, 60mm SVBony guide scope,  and ASI 120MM camera for guiding, do you think it is a good setup for begginers? My goal is to keep this setup for 2 or 3 years, and then I will upgrade to better mount and equipment, like EQ6 or EQ8, it will depend on how far I will go with this hobbie, of course. 

Edited by julianorafael

If your handset has a USB connection like the one on the right in this image then yes all you need is an A to B USB lead as per section 7 on page 21 of the manual you don't need any USB to serial adaptor and serial cable

spacer.png

Sounds like a a decent set up - possibly on the limit for an EQ3 weight wise, as the Nikon D610 is around 800g for the body.  The proof will be in the results and guide graphs :)

39 minutes ago, malc-c said:

If your handset has a USB connection like the one on the right in this image then yes all you need is an A to B USB lead as per section 7 on page 21 of the manual you don't need any USB to serial adaptor and serial cable

spacer.png

Sounds like a a decent set up - possibly on the limit for an EQ3 weight wise, as the Nikon D610 is around 800g for the body.  The proof will be in the results and guide graphs :)

My handcontrol looks exactly like this one, does it change anything? When I get the new cable do I need different drivers or something like that? or the one I have installed is ok?

Btw, my mount is the EQ5 not EQ3. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, since our last message, yesterday finally I had a clear sky, so I could test out the equipment again, the error is not happening anymore, So, the EQMod worked well, however I didn't find the driver specific for my EQ5 mount, then I used the HEQ5/EQ6, and it worked well until I start doing the guiding and the alignment via Plate solving.

So I brought my equipment to my back yard and started setting up everything. As I said I don't have visual to Polaris, so I tried to make the alignment via 3 start Plate Solving on N.I.N.A. It started going well, but something really weird happens after while, the plate solving just start asking to go up and up on Altitude axis which is very weird since I believe the altitude should not change after being set, am I right? and I noticed the azimuth also started to increase,  what I think that happens is the mount stops the sideral tracking or something. Should it be because of the drivers I have? It begins well and then out of sudden starting increasing the azimuth and altitude. 

Secondly I also tried the auto-guiding but it didn't work, it says communication error, which leads me another question then I have a question how to set up the cables? I'm connecting the Hand control via USB to my pc, there is a cable on the Synscan Control directly to my Synscan Hand Control, The guiding from my camera is connecting to the SynScan control(not hand control) via ST4 which I believe it is the right way, isn't it? The guide camera connects to my pc via USB. Or should I not connect the guide camera to the hand control since my pc is controlling the mounting? My hand control is set to PC direct connection, othewise it doesn't work to connect via EQMod. 

Is there anything else you may know I might need to do? 

image_67176193.JPG

image_67202049.JPG

image_67217665.JPG

6 hours ago, julianorafael said:

Secondly I also tried the auto-guiding but it didn't work, it says communication error, which leads me another question then I have a question how to set up the cables? I'm connecting the Hand control via USB to my pc, there is a cable on the Synscan Control directly to my Synscan Hand Control, The guiding from my camera is connecting to the SynScan control(not hand control) via ST4 which I believe it is the right way, isn't it? The guide camera connects to my pc via USB. Or should I not connect the guide camera to the hand control since my pc is controlling the mounting? My hand control is set to PC direct connection, othewise it doesn't work to connect via EQMod. 

Is there anything else you may know I might need to do? 

My suggestion would be to remove the USB cable form the handset and plug it into the USB socket on the synscan box.  In fact as you are using a PC for control there is no need to have the handset connected at all, and it can be disconnected and removed (with the power off before doing so).  I have no idea what "driver" you used for an HEQ5, but I'm guessing you mean you selected HEQ5/EQ6 form the list in EQmod.  This should be OK as EQMod gets the information of the mount when it first connects and interrogates the mount.  When you connect the synscan unit direct to the PC it should detect the serial port and add it to windows Device manager.  You will need to go into the properties of that port and set the speed (baud) rate to 115200 rather than 9600 as before.  In EQmod you will need to change the port number to the new one windows will have allocated to this new connection.  

Open up EQMOD and set the pulse guiding threshold to 0.9x for both axis

eq.png.6941d218ee048bd71fa96525cfe097f7.png 

Remove the ST4 cable altogether and connect the guide camera directly to the PC via USB.  In PHD2 you should be able to select the camera in the equipment chooser rather than the "on camera" option.  Likewise select the mount from PHD2's connection interface.  This will mean PHD2 will have direct access to the camera, and have fine pulse control of the mount when guiding.

I can't comment on NINA and the plate solving issue as I don't use NINA

Hope that helps - it should simplify your "wiring" :)