Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

KStars/EKOS and Sony Bridge Cameras - interesting, very interesting

dannybgoode

Well, it is interesting if like me, just for fun and just to post pictures on various Sony RX10 Facebook groups that are not humming birds, eagles and insects; to discover that EKOS recognises the Sony RX10M4 as a Sony DSLR and will control it accordingly.  I had been struggling to find something that would talk to the camera and I could not even get EKOS to work and then I realised I had the camera in 'Control with Phone' mode which knocks out the USB port for control by PC and only allows it to work in mass storage mode.

This setting changed and bam - all seems to be working properly and it even pulls down Sony RAW files into the image preview.  Now, I am not saying the sensor will be any good or up to the job of much but it will certainly be fun to play with, particularly for larger DSO's.  I can only fit the core of M31 in my proper imaging setup for example so this will be fun to try out :).  That said the RX10 is a massively capable camera so I may get something at least half reasonable out of it and it will make a change from BiF :D 

Photo is KStars/EKOS and the image in the bottom left of the sim racing wheel is evidence it works!

20210311_102616.jpg

Edited by dannybgoode

Well proof of concept has been tested and it works - managed to set up a routine, plate solve M81 and start imaging however the clouds then came in.  Also I need to work on focus a bit - nearly there but was visual and handheld so was very tricky.  Need to make an adapter to fit my Bahtinov mask onto the camera.  Shouldn't be took hard :)

Trouble is clear nights are not in abundance and want to do some 'proper' imaging as well so will have to fit this playing around in somewhere...

• 7 months later...