Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope advice

I am currently having issues with my Celestron Nexstar 6 SCT. My collimation is a bit offend has led to odd shaped stars in my images of M42. I have tried to rectify the issue but am still not convinced its quite right. Should the shadow of the mirror (dark circle) move as you move the across the field of view or has something gone horribly wrong with my optics

I am also looking at getting a wider field telescope to allow me to image objects like IC1805 (Heart Nebula) without having to worry about musics for the time being. My budget isn't huge (ideally below £500). Are the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED /Evostar 80ED worth looking at or should I be looking at something else?

Yes, the central shadow will become offset as the star moves across the field of view - that is normal and why you should always collimate with the star in the middle of the field of view.

I do not image but the two scopes you mention are very popular in imaging circles.

Edited by dweller25

11 hours ago, Celestron4 said:

I am currently having issues with my Celestron Nexstar 6 SCT. My collimation is a bit offend has led to odd shaped stars in my images of M42. I have tried to rectify the issue but am still not convinced its quite right. Should the shadow of the mirror (dark circle) move as you move the across the field of view or has something gone horribly wrong with my optics

I am also looking at getting a wider field telescope to allow me to image objects like IC1805 (Heart Nebula) without having to worry about musics for the time being. My budget isn't huge (ideally below £500). Are the Skywatcher Evostar 72ED /Evostar 80ED worth looking at or should I be looking at something else?

You will need to factor into the price the field flattener for either 72 or 80 for imaging.

I don't own either so will let those that do chime in, but from what I have read the 80 is the better buy.

That said, I don't think you will be disappointed with either as have read and seen very good results with both.