NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote facility for Astronomy Society - Advice relating to control hardware and software

mbalkham

Hi all,

I'm helping my astronomy society develop detailed plans for a remotely controllable astrophotography facility. We're in the latter stages of planning about to draw down funds and start ordering. We have a good idea of the main equipment (dome, mount, ota, camera, filters, etc.). Some final decisions still to be made but largely this is now agreed. I've done a fair bit of astrophotography (and my rig is about as fully automated as they come and is entirely controlled over wifi or LAN running on a computer at the mount) but never tried to establish an observatory let alone remotely access one.

We are now looking for advice and support around the hardware and software required to automate the observatory.

We hope to ultimately be able to operate the facility entirely remotely (that is over an internet connection) including powering up/down, automatic weather locally overriding control, data sync to a shared server. Our current thinking is that the society will vote for or request target time via an online platform and the facility operator or team will then queue the targets. Hopefully the facility will then open, check mount model, slew to target, focus and start capturing. The dome and weather station would also interrupt the capture and safely close up if the weather took a turn. We imagine that the data will be saved locally initially and then uploaded to a private data server accessible by members (which may take some time due to access speeds). On that server we would also hold a dark library and periodically capture a set of flats & flat_darks (prob captured by someone onsite, though a remotely operated flat panel in the dome would be ideal).  We want the mount and camera etc. controlled by an onsite computer in case the remote link isn't great but targets etc. quid from offsite and the whole rig accessible by TeamViewer/similar. Targets will be deep space astrophotography (nebula and galaxy), mostly pretty pics (hopefully!). We have research and video, live stream, teaching and other aspirations but these are all secondary and might be achieved at another facility or with other equipment.   

Our current equipment list includes:

• Mount (10 Micron GM3000HPS, OTA (OS RiFast400), Camera (TBC but prob FLI KL4040 or QHY600 Pro), OPTEC Focuser, Filterwheel & filters (LRGB and NB), etc. 
  • Dome (3m ScopeDome) and weather station (AAG CloudWatcher & Anemometer plus dragonfly observatory controller) with all automation hardware and software
  • Local computer, screen, keyboard, mouse, router
  • Eagle 4 Pro
  • Local 12v battery backup (LiPo4), solar charger, mains charger, pure sinewave inverter
  • Uninterruptible power supply and UPS remote relay (though the 12v system may negate the need for this)?
  • MGPBox (to remote power on mount and provide refraction data) 
  • Slab, ducting, power and data hardware

Not yet entirely sure of software needs and licence costs. I'm most familiar with INDI/Kstars but I suspect we might go ASCOM. I believe we already have a Maxim licence (not sure which one). We might look at another premium paid software if need be. Any recommendations?

What else have we missed/do we need to get up and running and control remotely?

Not looking for comments on mount, OTA, camera, etc. just on the automation and control stuff.

Thans in advance

Matt

Edited by mbalkham

I'd seriously consider:

4G alternative access to dome router so when network dies you can still access essential components.

Solar isn't a panacea so wireless switched  mains charger 

Reliable rain sensor

You didn't mention flip flat scope covers or dew heaters 

Voltage sensors

I don't get the need for an inverter if you have battery and I don't understand the spec for lipo bbattereis where deep cycle lead acid are better. 

Voyager is the only software I know of that can handle multiple mounts and cameras properly, prism can but is more limited. 

Jth