NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Narrowing dowm my choices

Hi Folks

I'm a very oocasional astronomoer though i have an interest to take this further and join a nocal astro club. My daughter (5yrs) is mad in to planets (and has made her own space ship). We're currently using a skywatcher 130 newtonian on a EQ mount but want to change as the EQ mount isn't for us.

Our requirements are:

• Easy for a 5year old to get to the eyepiece (though she can stand on a chain)
  • Alt / Az mount (definalty don't want EQ)
  • Ample diameter
  • Ideally one scope that the whole family can use, but one that i won't look silly using if i join an astro club.
  • Reasonably portable - so it can be transported to an astro club dark / sky site.
  • Budget is hundreds not thousands.

Here's the shortlist (all skywatcher). Would appreciate your help in narrowing this down. 

Heritage 130    or    Heritage 150  like the idea of these but don't like the idea of being buckled over to use it ir putting it on a wobbly table to raise it.

150 Dob had a 200 Dob before. Great views but really not great for transport.

130PS with AZ5 mount 

127 Mak Cass with AZ5

A skywatcher frac' with ED glass on an alt az mount would be aweson too but price is getting too high.

Thanks in advance for your support. With the current lead times i'm keep to place an order soon...

• Thanks 1

From the above scopes I’d pick the Heritage 130 or if you have the funds the 150. I do agree about the wobbly table problem.  A solid tripod is not hard to adapt to fit below the supplied mini Dob mount. If you’re ok with DIY a suitable timber tripod is not hard to make.  You don’t need extendable tripod legs if you choose the length carefully.

I wouldn’t worry about “looking silly if you join an astro club”.  Just buy and use what scope suits you and your family. The chairman of my local club brought his Heritage 130 to my club’s dark site last time we were able to go in September 2020. Another senior member took his 80mm binoculars. A modest scope used as often as you can will give years of observing pleasure  and is more likely to get used because it’s quick to set up and use 👍👍

Ed.

Extra from above. If you can sort out transporting the 150 Dob then that would save you making/buying a tripod for either the 130 or 150 Heritage.  Or........save for a Skywatcher 200 Flextube........

Ed.

• Like 1

There is no need to change your scope if there is nothing wrong with it. Just change the mount.

I have the AZ-4 with steel legs and I like it as a quick to deploy mount.  I can get the mount set up and a telescope on it very quickly.  The AZ-4 is not a lightweight mount, but that means it will not tip over if a 5year old grabs hold of it.

12 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Which 130 do you have? If it is a 130p with rings and a dovetail you could just buy an AZ4 mount and put your current telescope on it. 

It's the cheaper 130 not the 130P. It's pretty old, the mirrors are OK, but are showing signs of tarnishing a little at the edges. You can see stuff with it and it's fine to get started with for very little outlay (cost me £50 used) but really i want a new one. 👍

13 hours ago, NGC 1502 said:

Extra from above. If you can sort out transporting the 150 Dob then that would save you making/buying a tripod for either the 130 or 150 Heritage.  Or........save for a Skywatcher 200 Flextube........

Ed.

Thanks. The obs are superb and the ease of use is very attractive. I can transport a dob but it just doesn't lend itself to being transported.

What would probably be best is a DOB for use at home and a heritage or newt for my daughter and for ease of transport...... i just didn't win the lotto yet.