Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eq vs eq goto mount

Hey. So I want to get my first telescope, and I've landed at the skywatcher 150p eq3-2. I know the telescope might be a bit heavy for the mount, but I won't be doing any astrophotography with a dslr. From this website: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2/action/reviews/

I can see that the eq 3-2 is cheaper than the goto version. What is the difference between those two mounts? I've also heard that eq mounts can track the targets. (not goto). Is this computerized? 

Thanks in advance 

The goto version of the EQ3-2 uses a set of motors, a motor control board and a Synscan handset to slew (move) the telescope to the desired target. The basic version of the mount can be equipped with a single (RA) motor or dual axis (RA and DEC) to provide simple tracking and slewing or a Synscan upgrade to turn it in to a goto mount (the version in the link doesn't have motors). The maximum slew rate of the dual axis motors is either 8x or 16x sidereal rate depending on which version of the dual axis handset used. It is advisable to manually move the telescope on to the target and then use the handset to centre the target on the eyepiece rather than use the handset due to the slow slew rate. 

• Thanks 1