NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Meade Polaris 127 EQ

35 minutes ago, AMORxREBEL said:

Hello. This month I will buy my first telescope. And I decided on the Meade Polaris 127 EQ model. Do you think this is the right decision? Is this telescope I'm talking about any good? I really need help I'm so confused

Hello and welcome to SGL. The Meade Polaris 127 and the Celestron Powerseeker 127 use an optical design called a Bird-Jones reflector. This type of telescope uses a spherical primary mirror, as opposed to the better parabolic type, and a built in corrector lens to correct for the optical defects of the spherical mirror and increase the focal length of the telescope to 1000mm. The Meade Polaris 130 or the Celestron Astromaster 130 or Skywatcher Explorer 130/650 would be a better choice.

I agree with @Cornelius Varley. A friend had a Meade 114 Polaris (another Bird-Jones) and it was very poor. As well as the weakness in this design, the quality control can't be very good, judging by that scope of his!

What made you think about that model? I'm sure the combined brains here can suggest much better alternatives. 

Edited by Pixies

Astronomy is not a cheap hobby (check some of the threads elsewhere on this forum) and sadly with many of the cheap scopes it is a case of 'pay peanuts, get rubbish'.  It is possible to buy decent scope outfits that don't break the bank, but you are likely to need some guidance to find them. For instance, we often recommend the Skywatcher Heritage 130mm reflector with mini-Dob table top mount.  The optics are good, it has a useful aperture, and the cost-saving is in the basic mount.  Sadly, almost anything we recommend will be out of stock because of the Covid epidemic and other problems. 

You could buy used, where there are bargains to be had, but you need to know something about astro equipment to avoid buying a dud. If you do see something, post a relevant link or image and we might be able to tell you whether to buy or avoid.

• Like 1

Hi @AMORxREBEL and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

+1 for what has been said in the above comments.

My option would be to buy/purchase this... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html 
or its bigger sibling... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html