Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting started with Guiding. Help with setup please!

oymd

Afternoon knowledgeable members!

About to take my first steps with guiding.

Have been using a SW 80ED on an AZ-EQ6 Pro and 290MC Pro unguided.

Just bought a 290MM Mini, and plan to use it with the stock SW 9x50 straight through finder.

I had bought a while ago the C-adaptor that screws into the back of the finder scope.

Today as I was testing the setup, I found that there is SOME PLAY between the adaptor and the finder scope, and I can manually rock the guide camera. It is minimal, but I guess this is unacceptable for guiding as the camera slews?

Is there any way I can make the connection more stiff and solid? The adaptor screws in but is a little loose? Not sure if the problem is with the threads on the adaptor, or on the scope. Also, there is no HARD STOP. The adaptor keeps screwing all the way into the finderscope, and can keep going till it falls in on the other side of the thread.

Thanks

Ah, also, what is the focal length of the SW 9x50 finder scope? And how can I test focus during the day? Any basic advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!

IMG-2252.jpg

IMG-2253.jpg

Thread-lock :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-EVBTHRED10-Threadlock-10-g/dp/B0012RCYAO/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=loctite+thread+lock&qid=1614012954&s=diy&sr=1-7

Remove the camera and focus the sun on a flat surface.

Measure from that point to the rear of the C-Adapter and attach the camera at that spacing.

Do that before applying the thread-lock, to leave your spacing options open.

Michael

Edited by michael8554
  • Like 1

Is this how the camera should be connected?

I am trying to focus on a chimney from my window. Its about 1/2 a mile away?

I am using LIVE VIEW in APT, and cannot achieve focus at all?

I have threaded the objective as FAR OUT as possible, but I am totally out of focus.

IMG-2266.jpg

3 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Read my edited previous post

Michael

Thanks Michael

The sun is a RARE commodity these days...

:)

Is there another way?

And if I need to extend the camera farther back, what sort of an adaptor would I need? I have already used the one that came with the camera.

Many thanks

Edited by oymd

5 minutes ago, oymd said:

Is this how the camera should be connected?

No, the camera sensor needs to be (approximately) where the first lens in the eyepiece was before it was removed.  So loose the big extension as a first step, then screw the locking ring at the objective end further down the barrel and try screwing the objective further in.  The moon is up now so you could try focussing on that?

7 minutes ago, almcl said:

No, the camera sensor needs to be (approximately) where the first lens in the eyepiece was before it was removed.  So loose the big extension as a first step, then screw the locking ring at the objective end further down the barrel and try screwing the objective further in.  The moon is up now so you could try focussing on that?

Perfect!!

Got it...I have focus...

:)

Can you please advise settings of the camera? Gain Offset etc?

Many thanks!!!

Glad you got there!

Afraid I only have an ASI120 mm so my settings probably aren't very relevant but I *think* the ASI driver when you first connect PHD2 (assuming that's what you're using) will offer a choice of highest dynamic range, lowest noise  or unity gain and will select appropriate offset and gain for which ever of these is selected.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 290MM Mini in focus now in the guidescope.

Can someone please advise on HOW TO CONNECT the primary and guide cameras to start guiding?

I have never run my setup automated, and always did it manually using APT.

I have an AZ-EQ6 Pro mount with USB port, ASI 294MC Pro as the main camera, ASI290MM Mini as guide camera.

I have installed all the drivers, ASCOM platform 6.5SP1, all the ZWO ASCOM & camera drivers, Stellarium & PHD2.

I do not want to use the ST4 cable.

so, do I connect the guide camera to the 294MC pro, and then connect the mount to the laptop?

How will the laptop communicate with the cameras?

DO I connect a single cable from the laptop to the 294MC Pro, which is already connected to the guide camera, or do I need to connect BOTH cameras separately to the laptop?

Many thanks

You will require USB communication between the PC and the mount, to guide.

And USB communication from the guide camera driver in the PC to the guide camera, to expose and download guide frames for PHD2 to react to.

How you achieve that is up to you, separate cables, or via the imaging camera hub.

Be sure to connect to the correct ASI camera in PHD2.

Michael

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

You will require USB communication between the PC and the mount, to guide.

And USB communication from the guide camera driver in the PC to the guide camera, to expose and download guide frames for PHD2 to react to.

How you achieve that is up to you, separate cables, or via the imaging camera hub.

Be sure to connect to the correct ASI camera in PHD2.

Michael

Thanks Michael. Sorted!