NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Furry Lemur Nebula in Cepheus?

gorann

When surfing around on DSS2 (with  Telescopius/Aladin) ten days ago to find something unusual to image with the RASA 8 and ASI2600MC, I stumbled accross this one. Unfortunately it was quite near the celetial pole which caused some trouble with guiding. I even had trouble calibrating PHD2, which stated that the star was not moving enough. I managed to partly solve it by changing laptop (not sure why that worked) and I suspect that the iOptrom CEM70 mount struggled with the low temperature (-20°C). At the end I had to throw away most subs due to guiding errors and ended up 10 x 4 min half-good subs, so 40 min of data. Now when clounds have since long settled here and I am running out of data to process, I gave it a try. And there, among the noise, was something that reminded me of a furry lemur. As far as I can tell this patch of nebulosity has no name or other designation. Plate-solving it in PI only finds some tiny PGC galaxies.

Below is my image, the same area in DSS2 (after brightening it in PS), and an image of a furry lemur🐵

Maybe someone has a better suggestion for what this patch of nebulosity should be called? I should give it another try when it eventually clears.

20210212 Dark Neb in Cepheus PS29smallSign.jpg

Skärmavbild 2021-02-12 kl. 00.27.01.jpg

Furry lemur.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1