NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moded DSLR filter advice

If it's just the one filter being removed to make it an astro-mod, instead of both filters (full spectrum) then no, not really.

Depending on the light pollution levels where you live, you may need a filter for that but it's worth trying out the camera first to see what effect it has and then see if you need a filter and you can work out which one. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi Folks, 

I currently have my Canon EOS 60d being moded (H alpha). Can I ask if I'm going to need any filters for dso work? 

If so I would appreciate your suggestions. 

Thanks for your help 

Simon 

I’m afraid i can’t offer filter advice, can I enquire where you are getting the mod done and how much ?

cheers

Andy

18 minutes ago, Newforestgimp said:

I’m afraid i can’t offer filter advice, can I enquire where you are getting the mod done and how much ?

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, 

I decided to go with Andy Ellis at Astronomiser. I have read nothing but good reviews. 

Cost is £130 Canon eos60d H alpha removal. 

• Like 1

My Canon 650D is astro modded (IR Filter removal) and is very sensitive to red emission nebula. I did match it with the Optolong L-enHance filter to further enhance this type of nebulosity wavelength which is fine if you like the colour red!! I did struggle trying to achieve more colour scales in my images with this filter so I changed to the Optolong L-Pro instead. So far I am pleased with it as it helps with light pollution and allows for more natural colours to feed through into your image (less colour correction in processing too).

Overall, I think with astro-mod conversion you already have the best filter on-board your camera. Like the previous post mentioned, you may want to experiment with this mod alone first of all before looking at anything else (something I should have done). Depending on your Bortle class sky a light pollution filter could be your next upgrade.

Gerr.

• Thanks 1