NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice or suggestions about my eyepiece choice

Although I have been a visual astronomer for some time, I find myself wondering if I can improve my choice of eyepieces. I have been a lone observer and have arrived at my choice of oculars "organically" through trial and error. I now only use a 6-inch Dobsonian with Hilux coated mirrors and my subject matter tends to be open clusters, variables and double stars. I live in a quite heavily light polluted area on the outskirts of a city, and find that most deep sky subjects are quite impossible to view from my location, hence my choice of subjects. The eyepieces I have currently quite suit the scope, and more importantly - my eyes. I have a quite limited budget so please don't suggest Ethos or Nagler or other high end oculars because I simply cannot afford these. Image supplied.

510414421_Eps.thumb.jpg.7f061c2e1b075ed46cbbd085af26acbb.jpg

Edited by azrabella

For an 82 degree field, some distortion in the outer 10% of the fov is to be expected unless you are willing to pay BIG BUCKS. I did find when I used the same scope that you are using it was probably more coma than astigmatism, depending on your choice of eyepiece. I doubt it's your eyes. It was also one of the reasons I chose the 6" f/8 Dobsonian.  I did find the eyepieces performed much better in a slightly slower scope. You could always cut out an aperture mask or alternatively use a barlow with the Nirvana to see if that clears up the edge of field issue. I have compared the Nirvana with a much more expensive Explore Scientific 82 degree equivalent. Nirvana was better on eye relief and no difference detected optically. I sent the ES back and kept the Nirvana.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, nice collection. I know they are different focal lengths and AFOV but how would you compare the BST towards the Nirvana?

I picked up a 16mm Nirvana but now wondering if I should have got a 15mm BST. My scope is 200p f6 dob. Thanks.

Edited by Pitch Black Skies
Typo

On 16/02/2021 at 18:37, azrabella said:

Although I have been a visual astronomer for some time, I find myself wondering if I can improve my choice of eyepieces. I have been a lone observer and have arrived at my choice of oculars "organically" through trial and error. I now only use a 6-inch Dobsonian with Hilux coated mirrors and my subject matter tends to be open clusters, variables and double stars. I live in a quite heavily light polluted area on the outskirts of a city, and find that most deep sky subjects are quite impossible to view from my location, hence my choice of subjects. The eyepieces I have currently quite suit the scope, and more importantly - my eyes. I have a quite limited budget so please don't suggest Ethos or Nagler or other high end oculars because I simply cannot afford these. Image supplied.

510414421_Eps.thumb.jpg.7f061c2e1b075ed46cbbd085af26acbb.jpg

It looks like you have everything thing you need there. All of the important exit pupil sizes are covered. You mentioned about the light pollution. I'd recommend a good quality UHC filter if you don't already have one. Oh yeah and a nice sturdy carry case for those babies 😁