NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS-Optics 12 inch RCT

Hi folks -

Considering this: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6512_TS-Optics-12-inch-f-8-Ritchey-Chr-tien-Astrograph---carbon-truss-tube.html

I'm pretty sure this is a rebranded GSO, and it looks like they've corrected the problem with the focuser being directly connected to the mirror and causing problems that plagued earlier versions. My question is: does anyone here have direct experience with this telescope? Either this specific one, or a fairly recent other brand cut from the same cloth?

It'll be mounted on an iOptron CEM120EC2, and will be guided with an OAG. It'll be used with an APS-C size sensor (QHY268C), and I don't plan on getting a reducer for it - so I'm particularly interested in whether it will provide the advertised flat field up to that size.

My concerns are what non-obvious quirks it may have that would make it difficult to use - I'm talking mechanical quirks - I know it's a long focal length and has all those difficulties.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,
Peter

44 minutes ago, petercoxphoto said:

Hi folks -

Considering this: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6512_TS-Optics-12-inch-f-8-Ritchey-Chr-tien-Astrograph---carbon-truss-tube.html

I'm pretty sure this is a rebranded GSO, and it looks like they've corrected the problem with the focuser being directly connected to the mirror and causing problems that plagued earlier versions. My question is: does anyone here have direct experience with this telescope? Either this specific one, or a fairly recent other brand cut from the same cloth?

It'll be mounted on an iOptron CEM120EC2, and will be guided with an OAG. It'll be used with an APS-C size sensor (QHY268C), and I don't plan on getting a reducer for it - so I'm particularly interested in whether it will provide the advertised flat field up to that size.

My concerns are what non-obvious quirks it may have that would make it difficult to use - I'm talking mechanical quirks - I know it's a long focal length and has all those difficulties.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,
Peter

I've not used it, but it is the GSO, When I was looking into getting one I was told straight away the focuser supplied is not great. You can get an after market one to replace it, look at it on Astrograph web page and it will have the recommend focuser to fit.

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGTSFOCR30S

Cool down is meant to be faster than a C11.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Thanks 1