NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Potential future purchase

Hi all,

I wanted to share some thoughts with you and would appreciate any feedback.

My set-up currently consists of a SW 150PDS, HEQ5 Pro, evoguide 50ED with ZWOASI120mm mini (for guiding) and soon to receive the 533MC (upgrade from using a DSLR).

I have recently been pondering whether to upgrade (not right away but in the not so distant future) a small ish refractor to join the family - mainly for ease of use for imaging. Note though I would still like to use my 150PDS as I do still like it.

I don't want to spend a fortune but would like something decent. I have been looking at the SW 80ED DS Pro and also the 72 with the latter giving me a wider fov versus my 150PDS. So I guess I am torn between the two! Both seem to 'fit' with my other stuff so I could use everything across both set-ups. Just trying to work out which one would be the better buy!

Any suggestions welcome :)

The 600mm focal length of the ED80 is too close to your current 150PDS. And you say you're happy with the newt for imaging, so I don't see why you would want the ED80. The ED72 however gives a much bigger fov, so for imaging only purpose I'd go with that.

Let me post a link here that I have copied from another topic (page 4). I only understand about one word in three that vlaiv says but it struck me as being relevant. Hope it helps and doesn't just add to the puzzle 🤔

1 hour ago, KP82 said:

The 600mm focal length of the ED80 is too close to your current 150PDS. And you say you're happy with the newt for imaging, so I don't see why you would want the ED80. The ED72 however gives a much bigger fov, so for imaging only purpose I'd go with that.

Agreed that the 80ed is very close to my 150. That was my 'con' to this scope as it wouldn't be much different.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, M40 said:

Let me post a link here that I have copied from another topic (page 4). I only understand about one word in three that vlaiv says but it struck me as being relevant. Hope it helps and doesn't just add to the puzzle 🤔

Blimey - I think I need to study that in more detail later....might even need to put it all in a spreadsheet! :)