AZGTi Firmware update issues

Hi, I have already reviewed numerous posts on my problem but none of the suggestions have worked. So I'm posting my issue in the hope that someone has had a similar problem and resolved.  I have a AZGTi mount (purchased second hand) and it has worked fine in AZ mode for a year.  Last week my EQ3 Pro decided to die (no axis response - another issue I need to resolve) - so I thought I would update the AZGTi to the new EQ option firmware so I had something that's similar for astrophotgraphy - wish I hadn't attempted to update.

I've downloaded all the correct files from Skywatcher site (motor controller update for Wifi and EQ update or AZGTi). First of all the AZGTi wasn't displaying it's SSID on the laptop - when it did, it failed to connect. So I used my Synscan wifi dongle instead. This connected ok but whenever I try and update the firmware, if gets to 2 or 3% then it displays "Firmware update failed, cycle power to motor controller and try again". The mount is now stuck in Firmware update mode and it will not update no matter what I try. The mount is also displaying the incorrect SSID now (displays ESP_XXXXX)

Here is what I have tried.

- Left the mount on for 4 hours without connecting - it didn't reset (tried this twice)
- Tried updating to previous firmware - same firmware message error
- Tried updating using 3 different laptops, two on Windows 10, one on XP - same firmware message error
- Have turned off home wifi and anything wifi related. Reattempted to update - same firmware message error
- Have tried via my EQ3 handset - handset not recognised by the mount (this was a desperate attempt and I didn't think it would work anyway)

I've spent 3 days trying to update this mount and I'm tearing my hair out. I'm at the point of throwing it in the bin and buying a new one. Why are Skywatcher wifi products so flaky when it comes to using and updating firmware?. It should be a simple procedure. As for using serial cables to update - most new laptops don't have serial connections, these telescope manufacturers need to up their game.

If anyone has another sensible suggestions I could try I would be glad to hear them. Otherwise FLO are going to get another £215 from me for a new mount - and I won't update the firmware on the new one!

Look forward to any advice.

Thanks

Graham

On 27/11/2018 at 06:50, JorgeR said:

Not to leave this thread open, I managed to resolve the issue of the mount stuck in firmware update mode with the Skywatcher WiFi dongle. It’s a pity this was the only possible solution offered by skywatcher, as having a WiFi dongle is useless for a mount that has WiFi already, but then again updating the firmware through the dongle  solved the issue. 

Not sure if this is any help to you, it's from another thread on an AZGTi stuck in firmware update mode 

Edited by LeeHore7

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, Sanchit_18 said:

Hi I'm facing a similar issue with my skywatcher star adventurer gti now as you did. Did your issue got resolved? And if it did could you help me to fix mine?

Maybe start a new post rather than tag on to one that is now four years old.  I would have thought the OP would have resolved his issue by now 

57 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Maybe start a new post rather than tag on to one that is now four years old.  I would have thought the OP would have resolved his issue by now 

and that was the OP's only post