NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help fitting evoguide 50ed to 150PDS

Hi all,

I need a little steer in the right direction re: fitting a 50ed guidescope to my 150pds. 

In all honesty I haven't tried it yet but I am assuming that the weight of the 50ed at the front of the 150 tube (using the finderscope shoe) would cause me balancing issues. Happy to be corrected if that is nonsense!

Sooo....as I have a spare dovetail which I can secure on top of the 150 tube rings I was thinking of using that. Only issue is that I only have 1 bolt which I understand is a 1/4"-20 tpi UNC bolt?  I cannot seem to find another one of similar profile to the one that comes with the 150, e.g. philips head (assume countersunk) etc.... Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

12 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

Hi all,

I need a little steer in the right direction re: fitting a 50ed guidescope to my 150pds. 

In all honesty I haven't tried it yet but I am assuming that the weight of the 50ed at the front of the 150 tube (using the finderscope shoe) would cause me balancing issues. Happy to be corrected if that is nonsense!

Sooo....as I have a spare dovetail which I can secure on top of the 150 tube rings I was thinking of using that. Only issue is that I only have 1 bolt which I understand is a 1/4"-20 tpi UNC bolt?  I cannot seem to find another one of similar profile to the one that comes with the 150, e.g. philips head (assume countersunk) etc.... Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

If you're in the UK try here UNC Phillips Csk Machine Screws ASME B18.6.3 1/4 inch in A2 Stainless Steel - Westfield Fasteners Ltd

I just did a trial indoors and the balancing isn't actually as bad as what I thought it would be! I haven't connected everything yet but so far it has just been a case of moving the tube rings further towards the front!

Still - I have ordered a few bolts from Westfield so at least I will have options! :)

20210206_131345.jpg

20210206_131354.jpg

On 05/02/2021 at 15:02, Jamgood said:

I bought some of these. SVBONY Guide Scope Rings - I only used to rings, drilled new holes in my spare dovetail and fitted them to that. Then used these to fit the dovetail to the scope rings. Solid as a rock.

20210205_150031.thumb.jpg.6bf1f8f29f04182961617872fe190384.jpg

I'm sure there are better and cheaper ways to do it though. 

Just out of interest - did you struggle with unscrewing the stock unc bolt on the tube ring (look at my photo above and its the one on the right-hand tube ring).

I didn't give it all-out force but I think i would have striped the bolt head with my screwdriver.....its pretty tight! Assuming of course it does unscrew!? 😲

Edited by Jonny_H

2 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Just out of interest - did you struggle with unscrewing the stock unc bolt on the tube ring (look at my photo above and its the one on the right-hand tube ring).

I didn't give it all-out force but I think i would have striped the bolt head with my screwdriver.....its pretty tight! Assuming of course it does unscrew!? 😲

It was a bit tight but with a bit of brute force it did unscrew with no damage.

I originally had mine like yours is in the pictures but found that it wasn't that stable in the finder scope shoe but my original guide holder only had one set of 3 screws for positioning. 

I get better balance with it in the middle of the scope rings, especially when balancing up with camera and dew shield, etc.

You could easily adapt your guide rings to fit on a second dovetail. Also, the second dovetail gives you a handy handle to carry/lift acope into position. (If setting up every time) The more the weight is to the centre of gravity will be better for you mount. 👍

Edited by Jamgood