NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with Focusing lease

Hi Stargazers

Well had a look at the moon tonight and my first first look at Venus through the scope and through the clouds :) . It is breezy here and cold so the seeing was not great.

Right now my scope is tracking Saturn, Though on just checking outside the clouds have covered the sky again :(

I have just purchased the Moonlite SCT focuser for my CPC 800 and I need a little bit of advice to get the best out of it.

Do I use the scope focuser to bring what I am veiwng nearly into focus and then use the moonlite to fine tune the focus.

Any tips on how to use it are very much appreciated. As right now I am not seeing much difference as I am still needing to tunr the scope focuser many turns

Hope this makes some sense

Regards

Kath

Hi Kath.

Yes, you have the right idea. Get the focus as close as you can, but without being too fiddly with the main scope focus knob. Do this with the Moolite focusser set at its mid position.

Then fine tune with the Moonlite.

I use a Bahtinov mask for focussing. With it, you can reach perfect focus without need of electronic assistance, something that other masks and mkI eyeball cant quite do.

Enjoy, glad you can see something at least. I think im gonna jump in the tub and use mkI eyeball for any gaps in the clouds....

TJ

Yes Kath, you use the knob on the scope to get somewhere near and then the Moonlight to "fine tune". TBH Moonlights are "luxury" items, you won't see a massive improvement over the basic focuser where pure functionality is concerned.

Archived