Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More binocular buying advice (10yr old)

Hi,

I've read lots of the threads with interest, and have provisionally settled a Nikon Action EX 10x50 after some reading, as great astronomy and nature observation bins that will last many years. I would have gone for either a Nikon DPS/S or an Opticron T, which were in my preferred price range, but these are all out of stock/more expensive than they used to be, for known reasons. While I don't necessarily want to spend as much, I don't really want to buy twice or have avoidable problems with collimation and sharpness. I appreciate 10x50 might be a bit heavy for now and might need support, but given expected rapid growth that is less of a concern.

I just noticed that I didn't see that the Opticron Adventurer T 10x42 is still available at FLO - would that be a sensible alternative for a 10 year old recipient who expressed an interest of the night sky of her own volition?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hi @Kassiopeia + 'the 10year old recipient' and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

From my limited experience of binocular comparisons, I will say "Yes!" - anything is better than nothing and if it has provision for attaching a bracket to mount on a photo tripod or monopod it will be a good start into this wonderful hobby. 

• 1 month later...

Many thanks @Philip R!

Rather late reply, since the skies were not too great in February. We decided on the Nikon Action Ex 10x50. I have no comparison, but the image is without flaws or abberations, and the binoculars are not too big.

Since the skies have brightened multiple trips per week have been made!