NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3D printing UK recommendations please

Hi all

I've seen a 3D print design online that would be a handy addition to my astro kit.  Can anyone recommend a company in the UK which would be able to print a small 'one off' item?

Thanks

Jamie

If you share the link to the item, or share the actual file, I can ask my future brother-in-law to have a look as he is in the 3D printing business. 

As long as it's not a blaster from Star Wars which comes in a massive file which requires about 5 days of continuous printing (an ex colleague asked him if he could print said blaster! He said no!) then who knows, may (or may not) just do it for free.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jammy said:

This is the item that I would like printing.  Thanks for the offer Jurger, I don't mind paying a fee for for this.  It is his work after all.

Link:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4615431?fbclid=IwAR2gJmcqo8FjY0tTsu1Xfn2NXn3k56UOQIiARIuXcc_vF0KhvQCV2fRjsI0

The comments arent good in that link.  It doesnt line up properly when printed.

• Sad 1

If it is an odd adapter or item like the Thingiverse one then you can PM me and if I am able I will print for you. I can even design and make the necessary files myself.

I must admit I am not too keen on the design in the Thingiverse link looks a bit awkward to put together.
Is that exactly what you want to do mount that exact TP link on top of the Asair Pro?

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

If it is an odd adapter or item like the Thingiverse one then you can PM me and if I am able I will print for you. I can even design and make the necessary files myself.

I must admit I am not too keen on the design in the Thingiverse link looks a bit awkward to put together.
Is that exactly what you want to do mount that exact TP link on top of the Asair Pro?

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve.  Thank you for your kind offer.

Yes, I was thinking about  sitting the ASIair Pro and the TP Link together.  I've ordered the TP Link and it's not even arrived yet, I'm probably jumping the gun.  I should probably just check that it all works together first!

Some people Velcro them together, but I've read that this can cause heat problems.  I'm not sure that will be an issue being in the UK.  I think I'll just rubber band them together and make sure it all works for now.

Is it definitely this TP Link ?

TP-Link AC750

And it it the ASIair Pro ?

If so I will have a bit of a go at re-designing a better holder if you wish, no commitment, just to see if I can do better. Issues I have is I do not have either of the above to test it but should be able to get the dimensions from somewhere.

Steve

• Like 2

Yes it's that TP Link, I'll measure it out the box when it gets here (due for delivery today or tomorrow).

I think the dims of the ASIair are on the ZWO website, but I can give you these if you not.  I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

• Like 1

My initial idea is as below.
The red is the ASIAir-Pro and the purple is the TP-Link.

The pink bit screws to the grey bit sandwiching the TP-Link and if it works the  two pieces with the TP-Link then push into place in the green part that is attached to the ASIAir. I should just push and click into lace, no screws required.

image.png.03dd24bb2476df16f19fd4f4f638aafe.png

image.png.8d6fefa07f6947d81691db1b26830834.png

image.png.7e49dd6eee8dd82665033c55b9df80e1.png

Steve

Please send me the measurements and happy to work with you as I will try my best but because I do not have the TP Link or ASIAir then there is a chance the first ones I print are either a little tight or loose and may need a second print to get it just right.

But I am not out to make money and basically if you cover the cost of postage and maybe a couple of quid for the plastic used I am fine so probably looking at £5 to £8 or there abouts. Hopefully we can get it right first time but if not then as I said I will work with you, I quite like these little projects.

See if you can get it all to work when the TP link arrives and let me know if you want to give it a go.

Steve

• Like 2

Thanks Steve that's great.

The TP link arrived over the weekend and I had it all setup and running last night to test it out.  It works!!

I'll post you photos and dims this evening.  I've measured them with a micrometre.  If the dims are wrong, it's entirely my fault!

• Thanks 1

Steve

I've uploaded some photos and a pdf showing the dimensions.  I'm not sure if you can upload a pdf, if not I'll convert it to jpeg.

Ignore the USB extender, I've ordered a mini double one which won't get in the way.

In the 5th photo there is a silver screw on the mounting bracket under the ASIair.  There's about 5mm clearance between the screw and the ASIair.

Let me know if there's anything you don't understand.

Thanks again

20210125_165038.jpg

20210125_165054.jpg

20210125_165107.jpg

20210125_165129.jpg

20210125_165141.jpg

20210125_165512.jpg

20210125_165912.jpg

ASIair and TP-Link.pdf

Edited by Jammy
Forgot to add part of message!
  • Thanks 1

Made a start printing.

I made some replicas of the ASAir and TP Link so I can check the design works. The first print of the lower part seems to work in principle but I think the bottom struts between the uprights need beefing up as they are quite weak.
But if that is the only issue then its going well.

1611703687197.thumb.jpg.b8b222abda07e528ff4d58074e0ba601.jpg

Redesigned lower part:-
image.png.de9342266ff7140827de280fe1fd5701.png

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 3

The first design did work but not totally happy as the way the top clicked into the bottom section was a bit weak and not too difficult to pull apart.

Re-designed and beefed it up a bit. Sods law it will be too strong and hard to click together but its being printed so we will see 🙂 

Original Design                                                                                            New Design

image.png.a2c3fd7a2105199954c7e1d79a6cb452.pngimage.png.2df9860b55052bc4b4f4e2ad71de0b8f.png

Steve

• Thanks 1

I've just checked,  the USB and ethernet ports on the ASIair are 6mm from the side faces and the nearest power output port is  10mm from the adjacent face at its nearest.   On the TP Link the ports are further from the edges.

Edited by Jammy
Predictive text error