Well i never - i can now capture the whole Moon.

I recently purchased a ZWO 120MC-S camera which I use with a small refractor. However, I couldn't quite capture the whole moon as you can see in the left image - either the top or bottom was out of the field of view. Wasn't concerned as I know the FOV is limited just assumed it is what it is.

What I didn't know and purely by accident was that if I rotate the camera 90 degrees I can now capture the whole crescent. I've had it around 6 weeks so I've had a few chances to play and I never clicked on. Jeez, I feel very dense. Am I alone in this? Any others realised a top tip after a period of time working a certain way?

lr.png

• Like 8

I've seen few people produce such "landscape" captures of the moon - and I personally like the effect - but never thought about sensor real estate utilization that way.

I guess that once people start thinking in "mosaic" mode - they don't really think of capturing the moon in single go - you can always capture a few panels and stitch those together to create larger image.