ZWO adapter

MylesGibson

I have a flattener/reducer on my scope that clips straight in to my DSLR camera and I'd like to get a dedicated CMOS camera one day so I was looking at ways to connect it to my scope and still use the flattener/reducer. the one I use as a guide camera only has the 1.25" nose, so I was wondering if such an accessory exists to change this.

I found this product HERE but not sure if this is the correct part, although I am 90% sure. Just wanted confirmation that this would allow my flattener/reducer to clip on to a ZWO camera, where I can then attach it to my scope as per normal.

Edited by MylesGibson

52 minutes ago, MylesGibson said:

I found this product HERE

Typically that part is used to connect Canon lenses to CCD/CMOS cameras via the T2 connector.

I'm not sure what flattener you have but assuming that usually these have a M42/M48 connector, there should then be a M42/M48 T mount connector that your DSLR attaches too.  Is this the case?  If you take your DSLR off, is there then a small adapter that unscrews to reveal the flattener's native connection type - hopefully a screw thread. 

Scope -> Flattener/Reducer -> T-Mount -> DSLR.  Image below shows the T-Mount and DSLR.

image.png.499550a23ba33061aa9bffc778073cfe.png

If it has this, you're closer to being ready to go although would need an adapter to go from the 1.25 if your planned camera also has this.

Hope this helps.  I've not seen a reducer/flattener that has a direct DSLR attachment (as it would have to be manufacturer specific), so hopefully that part is the T-Mount and will unscrew...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Typically that part is used to connect Canon lenses to CCD/CMOS cameras via the T2 connector.

I'm not sure what flattener you have but assuming that usually these have a M42/M48 connector, there should then be a M42/M48 T mount connector that your DSLR attaches too.  Is this the case?  If you take your DSLR off, is there then a small adapter that unscrews to reveal the flattener's native connection type - hopefully a screw thread. 

Scope -> Flattener/Reducer -> T-Mount -> DSLR.  Image below shows the T-Mount and DSLR.

image.png.499550a23ba33061aa9bffc778073cfe.png

If it has this, you're closer to being ready to go although would need an adapter to go from the 1.25 if your planned camera also has this.

Hope this helps.  I've not seen a reducer/flattener that has a direct DSLR attachment (as it would have to be manufacturer specific), so hopefully that part is the T-Mount and will unscrew...

Ahh, I've not actually tried removing the DSLR adapter from the flattener! That was stupid. I'll have a go at that then look for the suitable ZWO connecter for it

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MylesGibson said:

Ahh, I've not actually tried removing the DSLR adapter from the flattener! That was stupid. I'll have a go at that then look for the suitable ZWO connecter for it

There can be so many adapters, it's easy to get lost in them!  If you're looking at a ZWO camera then at a certain size/price point they come natively with M42 / M48 and loads of adapters for some typical combinations of back focus.  Check out the camera's details on ZWO site (or FLO for example) and you'll see what's in the box.

If your flattener/reducer needs 55mm of back focus (or thereabouts) you'll be sorted for a lot of ZWO cameras out the box.

Edited by geeklee
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, geeklee said:

There can be so many adapters, it's easy to get lost in them!  If you're looking at a ZWO camera then at a certain size/price point they come natively with M42 / M48 and loads of adapters for some typical combinations of back focus.  Check out the camera's details on ZWO site (or FLO for example) and you'll see what's in the box.

If your flattener/reducer needs 55mm of back focus (or thereabouts) you'll be sorted for a lot of ZWO cameras out the box.

I already have a ZWO290MC that I use for guiding, so I'll just buy an adapter that works with that one, then I'll know it'll work with any others as I'm pretty sure they have a universal thread size