NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Was this aberration due to uncooled optics?

When I set up last night I appeared to have developed some sort of aberration in my images that I hadn’t seen before. Almost like little tails on the stars all in the same direction. I spent quite some time checking everything to see what was causing the issue. In the end up I gave up and just decided to start imaging as it was only really noticeable when pixel peeping. When I checked my images later in the night I noticed they were gone. See below for a before and after crop. Could this be due to the optics not being cooled or could there actually be some sort of issue?

75330945-E93E-4000-9178-A75909FBDFD7.thumb.png.497359a448160a0fae4a36ec7a441176.png

CC123745-D8D5-485A-80C3-F1D044DD56AA.thumb.png.5b3a590ab6060603b868616b4a503e4a.png

Edited by Icesheet

14 hours ago, rickwayne said:

Those actually look like some sort of diffraction spikes to me. Huh.

My  only other thought: Is there much difference in altitude (angular height above horizon) between these images?

Yes my target was rising as I was shooting. What effect could that be having? Something to do with changes in the atmosphere?

13 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

They do look like heat plumes. If there was a physical issue it would appear the same on all your images.

Yeah I’m hoping it’s nothing to do with my equipment. I’ll maybe leave it all out for an extra hour before starting to shoot next time. 

11 hours ago, Icesheet said:

Yes my target was rising as I was shooting. What effect could that be having? Something to do with changes in the atmosphere?

Not changes in the atmosphere as such, but effects from the amount of atmosphere you were shooting through, which (if I remember my Bracken) can be as much as 500km if the target is right on the horizon!