Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do I image the Horsehead with ZWO ASI 224 mc?

I started capturing DSO’s with my Canon 1100D, taking a number of subs, the duration of which being determined by the accuracy of the tracking, which comes in at around 150 second subs. Since then I have purchased the 224, principally for Mars and the other planets and the Moon, but from what I understand it is capable of capturing some good nebula images and right now is as good a time as any to have a go at capturing the Horsehead. I can’t explain why but even thinking about going for it makes me feel nervous!

My question is this. Do I take subs just as I do with the Canon? Or do I need to do things differently with the 224?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Moonshed

The general process will be the same.  Getting used to the settings, especially the relationship of gain, gama, exposure, and offset.  No different than planetary work, though.  The biggest difference will be FOV.  Hard to beat a DSLR for sensor size.

I switched recently to a ASI178MC and am still getting used to its preferred settings as opposed to my previous camera, and it was not a DSLR.

Edited by JonCarleton
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Moonshed said:

I started capturing DSO’s with my Canon 1100D, taking a number of subs, the duration of which being determined by the accuracy of the tracking, which comes in at around 150 second subs. Since then I have purchased the 224, principally for Mars and the other planets and the Moon, but from what I understand it is capable of capturing some good nebula images and right now is as good a time as any to have a go at capturing the Horsehead. I can’t explain why but even thinking about going for it makes me feel nervous!

My question is this. Do I take subs just as I do with the Canon? Or do I need to do things differently with the 224?

Thanks in advance.

I'll shortly be buying my first dedicated camera (The ZWO ASI 533MC-Pro) & have spent quite a bit of time researching everything I can about them aswell as the differences between them & using a DSLR.

I came across this YouTube video which I found very helpful. Its nearly an 1hr 40mins long. So put your slippers on, grab a coffee & a pack of biscuits 😂.  
It covers just about everything you would need to know & probably a few things you don't, there's a lot of science in it which I quite liked as I'm a bit of a nerd 😀 

Have Fun

Steve

Edited by nephilim
  • Thanks 1