Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher ALT-AZ GOTO mounts

hi,

just wondering if anyone who owns one of these new mounts, if the handset has a setting for EQ mode so that the mount can be used on a wedge, similar to some of the Celestron and Meade ALT/AZ Goto mounts?

Also, is there a user manual available somewhere to down load? There doesn't appear to be one on the Skywatcher site.

Cheers

The SynScan v3 manual at

http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtinc/customer_support.php?id=86&class1=1&class2=180

is pretty close. The diagrams of a GEM are obviously wrong as is the section on PEC training. I don't think there is a 3 star alignment option in the "beginner orientated" mount but there is PAE pointing accuracy enhancement which is not in that manual.

The rest about the key layout, menus and general use is all correct (from memory).

w.r.t mounting on a wedge. From what I have read part of the communications protocol between the handset and the mount at start up is the mount saying what type it is. So I imagine when the alignment finds the stars 50+ degrees out position it is going to say "alignment failed". You would also need a fairly special wedge since the top of the tripod is dish like to accommodate the electronics/motors etc of the mount an so there is not a flat surface at the base of the arm/mount.

Thinking a bit more. The single arm mount won't allow this to work unless you have a very short 'scope. Even then the software slew limits in the alt' axis are going to get in the way.

I don't think it could ever work well.

• 3 months later...
I’m thing about one of the sky watcher mounts for my DSLR camera when doing wide field shots do you think the mount will provide enough accuracy for long exposures?

Laurie

An alt-az mount is no use for long exposure photography due to field rotation. You need a driven equatorial mount, such as a EQ5/CG5, Astrotrac (ideal for dslr wide-field photography - but expensive) or a home-made Scotch (barn door) mount.

Archived