Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

When is best to fit desiccant cap on SCT?

KGX

I just bought a desiccant cap for my Celestron EdgeHD SCT, wondering at what point it should be attached? Should I:

- attach it before moving the scope inside? and leave it fitted until the next session?

- bring the scope inside but initially leave the back of the OTA ‘open’ while things dry out, and then fit before storage? 

What procedure works best when bringing a cold scope indoors?
Thanks so much!

I would recommend the second approach, bring the scope in, let it fully dry out then put the dessicant cap on.

When you bring the scope in, if possible have both front and back capped to let the optics warm up slowly, this stops them misting up when you go back indoors where it is warmer, then once it has warmed up take the caps off to make sure it fully dries out,  then use the dessicated cap.

I don't use a dessicated cap but I do follow the rest of the above process every time I being a scope indoors.

• Like 1