Skywatcher 80mm Equinox refractor.

I own a Skywatcher 80 mm Equinox refractor. There is not much wrong with this telescope. I use it purely for visual observing. If critical of anything it does show a little colour when observing Mars and Sirus.

It is a short tube at f 6.25. Easy to look through without having to stoop down too much.

I have just been thinking of what other 80 mm refractors would be an improvement without being too long a tube length. 75 mm or 85 mm would be acceptable. No more than f 7.5. I would be interested in the experiences of others. The 80 mm serves well as a transportable and easy to use instrument. But I do find this colour as described a tad annoying. Might not bother others. 

I have seen that Vixen have an ed 81mm refractor.

Edited by Guest

With an F/6.25 doublet, colour control is never going to be perfect. I thought the Equinox 80 was a terrific visual scope given its speed, though I became more aware of the CA after a few years’ use - more so during daytime observing than night. Not enough to put me off the scope though.

Among the alternatives are the cheaper triplets - ES, TS etc. Or the slower doublets - F/7.5 SW 80ED et al. Lots of choice out there. Above this then things start getting pricey - TV85, Tak FC76. And the Vixens aren’t cheap either. Worth having a look at the TS website - they produce a wide range of ED doublets and triplets from 72mm up to 90mm which pretty much span the small semi-apo market, and they generally have a good reputation. 

• Like 1

I really liked the Equinox 80 I had. Regret selling it. Nice views, nice build quality and a handy portable size. I've recently filled this gap in my scope arsenal with one of TS's 80mm EDs. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7169_TS-Optics-ED-APO-80-mm-f-7-Refraktor-mit-2-5--R-P-Okularauszug.html.

To be honest I never had a real issue with colour control with the equinox except on the very brightest of objects. The TS seems marginally better controlled (f7) and by marginally I mean I barely had any issue with the equinox, and so far no issue with the TS. I've really had little chance to use it much as yet, though. I think you'd need to go triplet to completely avoid the issue?

Edited by Marki