NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Saturn Conjunction processing

PadrePeace

I don't do planetary imaging much but felt I had to have a go at the conjunction for obvious reasons.  I managed to get out early enough tonight to capture video of the conjunction though it is terribly low in the west.

2min capture length (18000 frames) using SharpCap and a SW 150PDS, ASI 224MC (first light) and a FL of 750mm.  The histogram drove the settings to balance Jupiter against Saturn which is much dimmer and a fast exposure to try to beat the seeing at such a low elevation (10degs).  Here are the settings for file:

[ZWO ASI224MC]
Debayer Preview=On
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Binning=1
Capture Area=1304x976
Colour Space=RAW8
Temperature=15
Hardware Binning=Off
High Speed Mode=On
Turbo USB=100
Flip=None
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=495
Exposure=0.001106
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=95
White Bal (R)=52
Brightness=0
Gamma=50
Auto Exp Max Gain=300
Auto Exp Max Exp=30
Auto Exp Max Brightness=100
Mono Bin=Off
Subtract Dark=None
Display Brightness=1
Display Contrast=1
Display Gamma=1

I stacked the file in AutoStakkert selecting Alignment Points on both planets. The first image attached is how the resulting tiff has come out.  The planets both appear trailed as if stacking has not stabilised the movement in the video. Mount tracking was very steady with no anomalous movement.

The second image represents stacking with alignment points on just Jupiter.  

The third image is a screen shot of the post stack graph which looks odd to me.

Can anyone help to unravel how I might process the conjunction when there are two planets in view as I'm sure this is what is causing the stacking software to trail the final tiff file?

Chris Peace

Jupiter Conjuction_17_10_24_g6_ap19.tif Jupiter Saturn Conjunction_17_14_26_g6_ap16.tif

21.27.02.jpeg

Edited by PadrePeace
additional image

Sorted it. Had a really brief window of clear sky tonight so grabbed what I could and processed it as best I could. 
SW150PDS; ASI224MC; 2x Televue Barlow; AZEQ6 mount. Processed in PIPP and Registax. 
Chris

032D91EC-F900-43A9-8794-CF6ED4B3C0B0.jpeg

Edited by PadrePeace
  • Like 12

If anyone is interested the secret to stacking in Autostakkert was provided to me by: https://www.astrobin.com/users/cafuego/

quote: I put AS into surface mode and set Jupiter as the anchor. After analysis, add a few manual align points around the edge of the planets and on the moons and you should get result 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2020 at 10:50, PadrePeace said:

If anyone is interested the secret to stacking in Autostakkert was provided to me by: https://www.astrobin.com/users/cafuego/

quote: I put AS into surface mode and set Jupiter as the anchor. After analysis, add a few manual align points around the edge of the planets and on the moons and you should get result 🙂

Pretty much what i ended up doing, nice end result for you as well.

• 2 months later...
On 23/12/2020 at 10:50, PadrePeace said:

That's really useful, thanks. I've been trying to process my daytime video from 20th December and this has helped a lot. I've at least got a stacked image to play with now.