Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging equipment

Celestron4

I have a fairly basic astrophotography setup and I have been getting some good results. I have bortle 4 skies according to the ClearOutside app. My equipment is:

Telescope: Celestron Nexstar Evolution 6 

Mount: Celestron AVX

Guidescope: Altair 60mm guidescope

Imaging camera: Canon EOS 600D (Astro modified)
Guide Camera: Altair GP-CAM 130C

Reducer: Celestron f6.3 reducer

Celestron Dew cap for 6/8 inch SCT

Software used: PHD2 (will be ASCOM connection but haven’t tried it yet due to university work and a lack of clear nights), APT (for image capture)

Is there anything I should be looking at to improve my images and/or maximise image time? 
I am looking at imaging the Horsehead Nebula/Flame Nebula and am looking at mosaics due to the large focal length of my telescope (950mm approx with the reducer). Is there anything I need to watch out for if I try mosaics?

I  don’t use APT so I’m not sure if it now includes a mosaic planning tool like SGP and NINA. 

However, you can do mosaics manually, just ensure you have 10-20% overlap on at least one edge of your frames, I used to do this by checking the star patterns in the FOV, but now I let the software sort it out.

NINA is an integrated equipment control and imaging capture package, it will connect and control your equipment, Goto, platesolve etc, and will prepare and execute mosaics. A few people have switched over to it from SGP, partly attracted by the zero cost, although you can of course donate to the project.

Take a look at the EP17 YouTube video under the StarGazine section on here if you want a flavour of it.

I have found it easy to use and to date, more robust than SGP.