NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astroberry on Pi 3A+

KP82

Has anyone tried to run Astroberry on a Pi 3A+ rather than the usual 3B+ or 4? How is the performance with the limited 512MB RAM onboard?

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to combine a spare SW 9x50 straight-thru finderscope, C mount adapter, rpi and a rpi HQ camera into a self contained electronic finderscope for my iEXOS-100 portable visual setup. I can then control the mount remotely with a tablet or phone through INDI, and perform more accurate PA with polar drift align and GOTO with planetarium software + plate solving (much better than ES ExploreStars app). The 3A+ is cheaper, smaller and draws less power than 3B+/4.

Edited by KP82

Even ran it on a Zero HOWEVER IMHO and some practical experience

1. Ethernet speed is alot less and so is the WiFi even with 5G as they share the BUS with USB.

2. USB 2.0 reduced speed due to (1)

3. Asking a lot for running Platesolving and other Apps but they will work just slowlyyyyyy

Note I am assuming you are going to use the GUI not just booting up to Command Line and using remote Kstars (or the like) and just Indiserver on the PI 3A+ - the later would allow for more resources. Astroberry will run without the GUI just by using the browser (novnc of course) and controlling the Indi drivers via the Web browser (NO KDE GUI) - you would then run Kstars via a remote pc.

Maybe the 4a+ might be due soon 🙂

2 hours ago, stash_old said:

Even ran it on a Zero HOWEVER IMHO and some practical experience

1. Ethernet speed is alot less and so is the WiFi even with 5G as they share the BUS with USB.

2. USB 2.0 reduced speed due to (1)

3. Asking a lot for running Platesolving and other Apps but they will work just slowlyyyyyy

Note I am assuming you are going to use the GUI not just booting up to Command Line and using remote Kstars (or the like) and just Indiserver on the PI 3A+ - the later would allow for more resources. Astroberry will run without the GUI just by using the browser (novnc of course) and controlling the Indi drivers via the Web browser (NO KDE GUI) - you would then run Kstars via a remote pc.

Maybe the 4a+ might be due soon 🙂

I remember I've read somewhere the ZERO could run Astroberry but the performance was extremely poor. Otherwise it would have been perfect in terms of both size and power consumption. Well let's hope the ZERO will be updated with the pi4 hardware soon.

Yes I'll be using the GUI unless the KStars on Android can be used to platesolve remotely. I want this electronic finderscope to be self-contained and powered by the same battery as the mount. I'll only be using a tablet or phone to manage it. No laptop.

• Like 1