Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laptop for planetary camera - screen resolution

Peter_D

Hi,

I have ordered a refurbished Dell E6440 laptop with a 14  inch screen. Resolution apparently can be set at 1600x900.

How critical would the screen resolution be for planetary capture (as distinct from later processing)? Does it have a bearing on the maximum resolution of astro camera I can use?  Am I restricted to 1,3 Mb  cameras?

My plan was to get a cheaper (but still adequate?) laptop and upgrade my desktop at a later date.

Thanks for any advice (probably should have asked before I placed the order).

Thanks again

Peter

6 minutes ago, Peter_D said:

Hi,

I have ordered a refurbished Dell E6440 laptop with a 14  inch screen. Resolution apparently can be set at 1600x900.

How critical would the screen resolution be for planetary capture (as distinct from later processing)? Does it have a bearing on the maximum resolution of astro camera I can use?  Am I restricted to 1,3 Mb  cameras?

My plan was to get a cheaper (but still adequate?) laptop and upgrade my desktop at a later date.

Thanks for any advice (probably should have asked before I placed the order).

Thanks again

Peter

No problem whatsoever. I have run an ASI183MC (20 Mpixel or so, only used at full resolution for lunar and DSO) on various laptops with no issues, and none had that kind of screen resolution. The main issue is having a fast SDD to keep up with the data rate. Even on a fairly old Core-i3 laptop using an external (USB3) Samsung T5 SDD, I got good data rates.

• Thanks 1