NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Condensation and dew question

Hello all, 

We're at that time of year in Berlin where equipment gets hellishly cold during a session but not cold enough for frost to form; thus far I've managed to avoid dewing apart from on one occasion a couple of weeks ago when it was significantly warmer.

So if there is definitely no dew on your scope or EPs, and you pack everything away into the various cases, dust caps and so on outside - is it best to leave it packed away to come back to temp once inside the house?

Typically I have always left EPs and scopes without their dust caps on but in the cases with the lids open to come to temp and let any condensation evaporate, but yesterday everything was perfect when outside, but immediately became a huge condensation magnet (particularly the C5) the moment i opening up the cases.

Can't help thinking it would have been better just leaving everything sealed up away from the more humid air inside. Thoughts? 

If there’s no condensation on your lenses and eyepieces when you’re outside you should cap them and case them etc while you’re outside. Bring them into a cool room where they will warm slowly and condensation won’t form. You can always open them up and check in the morning. 
If ice or condensation have formed outside then leave everything open and again bring into a cool room. Some people swear by a hairdryer!

On 25/11/2020 at 20:37, robhatherton said:

If there’s no condensation on your lenses and eyepieces when you’re outside you should cap them and case them etc while you’re outside. Bring them into a cool room where they will warm slowly and condensation won’t form. You can always open them up and check in the morning. 
If ice or condensation have formed outside then leave everything open and again bring into a cool room. Some people swear by a hairdryer!

Thanks. Sorry missed your reply somehow. 

This is pretty much my thinking. I guess my concern is whether there is dew/ice that I won't see and end up trapping inside the case, but like you say I can leave it for an hour or two to equalise and check again, or open the cases at that point to let any remaining dew evaporate.