1.25 StellaLyra 20mm eyepiece

Dean Hale

Hi all

My first brief review so be gentle.

The first time in my life i looked through a telescope was in April this year so my knowledge is limited. However, this has an advantage - anything i see is new and i'm constantly oohing and aahing in an odd Kenneth Williams kind of way whenever i see something invisible to the naked eye. Occasionally a mad cackle especially last month when i saw the Orion nebula for the first time.

What i have learnt has mainly been through this forum or simply just trying things out, hopefully soon once lockdown ends i can join a club to have a little more conviction to back up what i'm writing. 

Anyway, back to the eyepiece. I saw the StellaLyra eyepieces advertised here a week or so ago and at £39 and being from Yorkshire it ticked an important box - the value for money one. 

It arrived today and the clouds cleared for an hour giving me a little time to give this a quick view.

It's a nice eyepiece, looks solid and feels nice in the hand. Although the bottom eyepiece cap takes some effort to remove.

I compared it with a Televue 20mm plossl - i have no idea if this is a suitable match i know the FOV is different but as they are both 20mm i thought why not. The unscientific test was to try and see which was sharper and to count the smallest craters and after swapping the eyepieces back and forth the Televue was slightly sharper but as to how much, very little to my untrained eyes.

I've attached an image and a video i took from my mobile and a simple bresser 102xs/460 telescope. If viewing through the eyepiece you will see more clarity than the attached image and video. Both taken through the Attic window as it's very windy +30mph.

If you have got this far, you can see i have a lot to learn, however if you are just beginning your journey and wish to upgrade the stock eyepieces, go ahead i'm more than happy with it and i'm sure i'll use this for awhile yet.

Dean

stella-moon.png

• Like 5