Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera for Solar

sooty

Looking for a camera mainly for Solar/Lunar work.

Equipment will be a 4" F7 refractor,and a Daystar Quark,which will push F-ratio to around F30.

Will the ASI 120M be a suitable option? (i use that for guiding at the moment).

Failing that,i have been looking at the 174M,178 and 290.But not a clue which would be best!

Regards,

Sooty.

• 5 months later...

Just looking at the same cameras myself and want to be able to use them with a Coronado PST, just not sure if I would still need to use a Barlow to achieve focus. The frame rate on the 174 looks awesome but loads more money. Tempted for the 178MM...

3 hours ago, NiCo10 said:

Just looking at the same cameras myself and want to be able to use them with a Coronado PST, just not sure if I would still need to use a Barlow to achieve focus. The frame rate on the 174 looks awesome but loads more money. Tempted for the 178MM...

Be aware that in order to achieve those high frame rates, you will likely need a laptop with an SSD. I found out the hard way that a regular ol' HDD just can't write the data fast enough without using a small ROI

• Like 1