Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

72mm Apo vs 80mm Apo - which is better

I’m getting frustrated!  After taking advice I had decided on a SW Explorer 130PDS to go on my EQ3 Goto mount and get started on my new astrophotography hobby. This scope would also be good for viewing.  Problem is, the lack of availability both new and used.  OK, I can buy new on eBay for £299 but that’s just ridiculous when the normal price is around £180.

So, perhaps a rethink is in order. I’ve found a Primaluce 72 ED (which may or may not still be available) in the SGL for sale forum and a Williams Optics ZS80 EDll on Astrobuysell, both around £330.  I know nothing about either.

I would like to view planets, clusters and photograph things like Andromeda and similar and it needs to be light enough to go with EQ3 mount..

I’ve learnt that Apo scopes are better for AP and of course more expensive but I’m getting fed-up of not being able to get started with anything.  So, thoughts?

thanks

Both Prima and WO are trusted brands. I have a Prima 65mm APO and  WO GT81. Both are excellent for wider field work, DSO etc. I would not say they would be great planetary or Lunar 'scopes. I also have an Altair 72mm Starwave.

The optics on the Prima and WO are better and that is reflected in the price...excuse the pun.

• Like 1