Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ice on ccd sensor?

speckofdust

Hello all, came across this issue 3 nights ago. I think it is ice forming on the ccd sensor, but not sure why it happened as the outside temperature was about 10 degrees on average through a 3 hr imaging session (started at around 13 degrees). Turned on the cooler on the camera for a target temp of - 5 degrees which was maintained throughout.  after about 1 .5 hours the image started developing a weird shade at the centre. checked the objective, which was clear of dew. ( dew heater strap was on). looked down the scope and found a oval shaped area of fogginess at the centre of the CCD sensor, which I assumed to be ice. turned the cooler off and blew some warm air from a distance towards the camera and recommenced imaging after 10 minutes and after the fogginess was gone. The sub frame afterwards was good with no abnormal shade. So I presume this to be ice forming on the sensor, but its a bit weird, as I have not had this problem before and I have run the camera much colder at colder ambient temps.  Any comments/ advice welcome. Thanks  

equipment- sw E80 ED refractor, camera asi 1600mm with Baader LRGB filters on zwo electronic filter wheel

M31 ice on sensor.jpg

M31 ice on sensorR.jpg

Edited by speckofdust
addnl info

Probably not ice but dew, and likely on the front of the sensor window rather than on the sensor itself. ZWO sell a dew heater specifically to warm the front of the camera, which may be all you need to add to fix this in future - alternatively a heater to wrap around the frontmost element in your imaging train.

If you can confirm it's inside the sensor window then you may need to consider dessicants - I'm not sure what the ASI1600 uses (if anything) on that front.