NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Modified camera white balance

I've recently purchased a modified nikon D5600 which I'm very pleased with performance wise. I have some issues regarding the white balance....

So, I first went down the grey card route, bought a grey card, took a picture of it in the noon sunlight and set that as the white balance, but in the camera live view and the subsequent raw files all images still showed this red tint from the modification.

I collected my first set of data on the north america nebula last week, just shy of an hours total integration time. When processing I balanced the colours manually using the photoshop white balance tool and some slight manual tweaking and got the colours fairly neutral. I used to be quite obsessive about getting this perfect but after seeing how monitors and screens of various computers/phones all tend to have a slight different uncalibrated colour tint to some extent I've learnt to relax and just get it looking right for my tastes 🤣

The problem I still encounter that makes this balancing harder is the fact that the RGB channels seem to constantly bias Red, even when the colour being sampled is a neutral grey? For example, If I select a grey sky background area once the image is correctly white balanced, I'll get a reading of R: 32, G: 50, B:50. If I were to set the red channel matching the green and blue channels the heavy red tint is re introduced and the image is overly red again. Any idea's as to whats going on here? I've included the final processed version in this post. Thanks!

North america neb.jpg