NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie confusion

krikus

Hi all,

Brought a QHY CCD camera for guiding in my SW finderscope and have downloaded PHD2 for guiding and have data lead from camera to laptop and 

was going to attach  a st4 lead from camera to my NEQ6 port but i`m now thinking that is not what to do as re the st4 lead.

Need help please!!

Thanks Kirk

Better to use Ascom . Eqmod and APT with PHD2 for mount control, will give better results than the ST4 method.

The camera to mount ST4 method loses a lot of accuracy (but does work after a fashion)

there are several good uTube videos on Ascom / APT for NEQ6 with either Stellarium or Carte du Ciel (CDC).

for example

Edited by fifeskies

It has to be said the ST4 method camera to mount is probably simpler.

It in part depends on what you are trying to image and how much tinkering you want to do with the software.

(and if you are a computer familiar person or just looking for something that works)

As Olly says it works fine.

Thanks fifeskies for the video`s,yes Ebdons the camera has a st4 port,i was hoping to keep things simple to start with rather than doing everything on the laptop.

Probably be doing some imaging in the field so am also thinking of a synguider even.

Thanks Olly for your reply,maybe try the simple setup first and se how i get on

Olly has lots of clear skies and can spend all his time imaging  🧐

Here in the UK with terrible weather we can spend the rainy days tinkering with the complicated software to keep us amused and get it all talking to each other and working so we don't sit tapping our fingers waiting for the odd clear night.    😜

(I do have a ROR base so am not mobile imaging)

18 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

It has to be said the ST4 method camera to mount is probably simpler.

It in part depends on what you are trying to image and how much tinkering you want to do with the software.

(and if you are a computer familiar person or just looking for something that works)

As Olly says it works fine.

I think simpler for now and hopefully get more advanced,there`s so much other stuff to learn yet like imaging with my Canon 1DX ,processing, stacking etc

13 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

Olly has lots of clear skies and can spend all his time imaging  🧐

Here in the UK with terrible weather we can spend the rainy days tinkering with the complicated software to keep us amused and get it all talking to each other and working so we don't sit tapping our fingers waiting for the odd clear night.    😜

(I do have a ROR base so am not mobile imaging)

Yes lucky Olly,yep understand what your saying but my brain is in meltdown already trying to understand it all!!Daytime photography was so simple to this type

of imaging.I see you have the NEQ6 pro,just brought the same mount with tripod,it`s a beast!!

3 minutes ago, krikus said:

brought the same mount with tripod,it`s a beast!!

NEQ6pro is on the limit for being a mobile mount (for me anyway). 

I take a dob out sometimes (and will probably get a small grab and go mount for my Equinox 80)

Great for a fixed pier though.

20201030_122332mini.jpg